Twenty-Ninth

The rain poured down and I had just enough strength to try and put my hand over my exposed ear. It was cold and wet and I shivered, my bones rattling with a sharp chill. I couldn't breathe right from the blood coming from my nose and the rain trying to get in. I can't believe I fell for such an obvious trick... I can't believe I was dumb enough to trust him...

*****************************

10 HOURS AGO

When I woke up from sleeping in my parent's bed, I found Mom holding me as I snuggled up against her and Dad's arm around me from the back. I smiled when Kasai stretched in my stomach, bumping Mom. She woke up and smiled at me, touching my face.

"Did you sleep okay?"

"Best sleep I've gotten in a while."

"Like I said, snuggled up." She said, seeing Dad's arm laying across me.

"Men don't snuggle, Geneva." Dad said, although I'm sure he wasn't all awake yet.

We all laughed at that and Mom got up.

"I have to go to work. You're more than welcome to stay in the bed until you're ready to get up."

"I think I'll take a shower." I said.

Mom helped me out of the bed and I made my way to my room to get some clean underwear and also to check my phone for any messages. I had forgotten all about the text I sent Mars until I saw it again. I reread it and cringed at how whiny I sounded but frowned when I saw that he hadn't even looked at it. At least that's what the send receipt indicated by not having an indication. There was a text from Zylith though, and I opened it, finding a selfie of her kissing the camera and the caption 'love ya bae' underneath it. I sent back a general smiley face because I'm a dweeb. The only other text was from Kole and I opened it.

Hey. Mars told me about the text that you sent. He said that he wanted to talk to you in person about it after school. Would that be okay?

I made a face. Why wasn't Mars telling me this himself? And there was nothing that showed that he read the text so how did Kole know about it?

How do you know about the text? I don't see where he read it.

Mars deleted your number from his phone, so he doesn't have the settings for sending back 'read notices' for numbers he doesn't know.

How come Mars isn't telling me this himself?

To be honest, he seemed apprehensive about talking with you again and so I thought that I could make it more of a surprise meeting that could maybe break the ice a little better.

So Mars doesn't know?"

I'm going to tell him something different to get him to come with me.

God this seems so suspicious but then again, if Mars was avoiding me, then being forced to face me might make him willing to listen and see what could be done. I had a bad feeling about this, but I was kind of desperate.

Okay. I'll meet him. Tell me where to go.

***************************

3 HOURS AGO

I told Mom that Mars was going to meet me at our old clubhouse in the woods that was across the street from the house. Kole said it would be easier to meet up there without the other's parents getting all pissy and it would give me the privacy of showing up looking like I do now. Dad had gotten me this really big hoodie to wear that covered me and Kasai perfectly and sweats were about the only things good enough to wear anymore. There were no jeans big enough to work in any of the local stores and I wasn't going to waste money on buying them online when I was going to be back to normal soon anyway. The woods had a clear path from my house to the clubhouse from all those years of trekking through the woods to get here, so Mom didn't seem too concerned for me walking there.