eighteen

"God, the bitch is back," Ben groaned as he entered the kitchen, where I was silently eating my oatmeal, not bothering anyone. "Who took you home last night?"

"Everyone. We came here from the airport. Why?"

"Why was David in your room?" he asked casually, not even with the slightest hint of suspicion, but my eyes still nearly popped out of my head.

"He brought my bag upstairs."

"What a gentleman," the words seemed bitter leaving Ben's mouth. "He didn't try anything this week, did he?"

"No, Ben," I sighed, my oatmeal suddenly seeming a whole lot less appetizing. I hated lying, even if it was to someone like Ben, who was ridiculous and too protective of me. "Are you leaving today?"

"I have practice at one. Why?"

"Someone's coming over for a project, and I didn't want you here."

"Who?"

"None of your business."

"I have the security camera app still on my phone. Who?"

Ah, yes, the security cameras. That should probably be in air quotes because the cameras kept nothing secure. Mom and Dad bought them for the house, but when Ben realized what a struggle his life would be if he had security cameras to worry about, he paid me to help him convince them they were broken. We'd delete hours of footage sneakily off my mom's phone and constantly turn them on and off until they eventually gave up. They were still up, but I knew for a fact neither parent still had the app. Ben did, because through the app, he could see who was looking at the cameras. He'd know if they ever decided to give them a shot again.

"Alex Ernst," I answered with a sigh, not ready to be berated again about my choice in friends. Even Ester had something to say about him, and she was pretty tolerant of everyone in school.

Ben laughed, shaking his head, "Good luck. Kid's weird as fuck."

"Okay," I gave him a sarcastic smile. He surprisingly took the hint and left me alone to finish my cold and undesirable oatmeal.

By the time Alex came over, I was having trouble focusing. David was texting me every ten seconds it seemed because he knew I was with Alex alone at my house. For some reason, that bothered him to no end (as if I wasn't completely enamored with David).

"Jeez, you're popular," Alex laughed as my phone buzzed for a third time without me picking it up. "Is that Ester?"

Ester was pretty much the only person I ever talked about, because she's my only friend, so it made sense that he assumed she was the one blowing up my phone.

"No. It's some guy," I told him, watching him fiddling with his thumbs. "He's annoying me. Let's just finish this real quick. Two more slides left! We got this!"

"You're so peppy," Alex said. "You should be a cheerleader."

"Cheerleaders aren't even peppy. They're kind of mean, to be honest," I replied, randomly typing out a stupid slide about the Nuremberg laws, which made no sense at this point in the powerpoint, but we had been working for almost two hours and I was getting antsy. "Does this sound good?"

Alex took the laptop from me and deleted a few things, added an extra sentence, then nodded. He said, "Should we move it to under slide five, or just leave it here?"

"Move it."

By the time we were done, I was mentally exhausted. All I wanted to do was sleep. I politely kicked Alex out of my house and practically sprinted upstairs to jump in my cozy bed. It was there that I checked my phone for the first time.