thirty two

I woke up alone in a hospital bed, my head aching from the bright lights but everything else pretty much numb. For a second, I thought I was paralyzed, but I glanced down at my toes and could see the big one wiggling. I was alive. I was actually alive.

"Hello?" I tried to call out, but my voice was too hoarse. I sounded like my deaf grandpa. No one came. Was I actually in Hell? Had I really been that bad of a person?

Once I realized I could move, at least a little bit, I grabbed the little remote control attached to my bed and clicked the big red call button. It was only thirty seconds later that a young blonde lady in scrubs came strolling into my room.

"Hi, little lady," her smile was warm and comforting. "I'm Veronica. I'm your nurse today. I'm so glad you're awake."

"How long have I been asleep?" I asked.

"Your body was in a lot of shock. We put you on some medicine that would keep you asleep while we gave you a bit of time to recover. You came in on Thursday at lunch time, and it's Monday at five thirty in the morning," I liked that she explained things so I wouldn't have to ask. "I'm going to run and get you some water for your throat, and I'll be back super fast. Don't worry."

It must've been the drugs, but I barely even noticed she was gone. She came back and let me drink my water before she continued.

"What happened to Alex?"

"Who is Alex?"

"The boy who shot me."

"Oh," she seemed to grow somber at that. "From what I've seen on the news, he's in custody. I think the police will be coming by pretty soon now that you're awake to ask you some questions. They've stopped by every day to check."

"Is everyone else dead?" I asked, though I already knew the answer. The look she gave me told me exactly what I needed to know. "Wow."

She changed the subject, which was probably best. She said, "I called your parents. They're on their way with your brother. At least one of them has been here every night, but they went home tonight to get some quality rest. Don't worry; they left you in good hands. You sure are loved, Miss Honey."

"I am?" I only half understood her words.

"That boy in the lobby hasn't left since you got here. I don't think he's slept either," she explained with a smile. "Do you want me to go get him? I'm sure he can explain everything that's happening with the police and all better than I can."

"Yes, please," I smiled softly. "I love him, too. I can't believe he's been here this whole time."

"He didn't even want to change clothes," she told me. "When you first went into surgery, we didn't know if you were gonna make it, and he wanted to keep his bloody clothes on so he'd have part of you with him. We had to threaten to kick him out before he changed into the clothes that his mom brought him. You've got yourself a keeper."

"I know," I let my head drop back onto the pillow, tired of holding it up.

She left to go get David, and this absence felt significantly longer than the last. I waited eagerly, my fingers drumming against my bedsheets, hoping to see him walk in.

David

It had been days since I even thought about moving from my chair. People were constantly moving in and out of the fourth floor ICU waiting room, but I stayed put, waiting. I couldn't imagine leaving. What if she woke up? What if she died? With no one else in the waiting room with me, I couldn't leave her alone. She needed to know I was here.