four

"Oh, I guess you didn't bring a swimsuit," David glanced from his friends in the pool to me with a frown. It was then that I realized that Ben had on a t-shirt and swim trunks, as did David. I stood there, arms crossed over my chest, thinking.

"I don't have to get in," I told him.

"No! If you're here, you need to get in!" Corinna yelled from her spot on the stairs of the pool. "Ben, I'm cheating off your sister in Biology. She's a fucking genius."

I blushed at her nice words, but didn't say anything.

"David, just go get one of Ester's swimsuits," Todd instructed him, an unreadable look on his face. From David's confused eyes, I could tell whatever Todd said was unrealistic, though I didn't know why.

"It's seriously no big deal," I sat in one of the patio chairs to prove my point. "See? I'm chilling."

"Go get her a bathing suit," Zane said as he came up out of the water, his wet hair plastered to his forehead. "Little Honey is going to be busting out of it."

"Hey!" Ben warned, no kindness behind his eyes.

"What? Your sister's got big tits. I'm not blind," Zane said in a duh tone, and I gasped, blushing profusely. It was times like this that I wished I wasn't the most awkward person on the planet. If I could just laugh and own it, I wouldn't look so bizarre.

"Watch your mouth when you're talking about my little sister."

"Sorry, man!" Zane held up his hands defensively. "Just stating the obvious."

"Ben," I glanced up at him with a sigh, my voice quiet compared to everyone else's talking. "Let it go."

He glared at me for trying to calm him down, but he did let it go. "Just get her a fucking one piece, man."

It was silent for a moment, then David turned to look at me. "Come with me."

So I did, no questions asked. I followed David into the house, and he led me to Ester's room.

"Ben's pretty protective, huh?" David seemed to raise his eyebrows as he said it.

"I don't know," I shrugged with a sigh. "He wasn't, really. He just thinks he's the only one allowed to pick on me."

"No one was picking on you, and he knew that. That's not why he's protective."

"I guess the boys at other schools took advantage of me sometimes," I explained. "Not in a rape way, but... I was taught to always try to be nice to strangers, and a lot of people kind of walked all over me because of that. I think he just doesn't want that to happen again."

"What happened at your other schools?" David asked, his voice thick with curiosity.

"Nothing bad. At my last school, this boy was talking to me like he was interested in me, and then I ended up doing his homework for three months before Ben found out about it. He thinks I'm naive," I told him honestly as he rifled through Ester's drawers. "I guess I am. I just don't like telling people no."

"You need to start... starting with him," David laughed as he pulled out an extremely low cut red one piece swim suit. "He doesn't control you."

"I know," I sighed, grabbing the flimsy piece of material from him.

"You can just change in here," he said. "I'll be downstairs."

"Okay. Thank you."

I took my time pulling on the bathing suit, that was indeed busting at the seams. Me and Ester were about the same height and size, but the girl was flat as a pancake and I had a little bit more going on. I wasn't sure about how Ben would feel about this look, but I found out when I stepped onto the patio and immediately heard a, "No."

"Ben—"

"Change."

"Ben, there is nothing else for me to wear!" I whined quietly, embarrassed that he was fighting with me in front of his friends that I didn't even want to hang out with anyways. I wished they were rude people and left me to watch TV alone in the house, but they weren't.

"You look hot, baby!" Corinna cheered me on from her spot in the pool, now next to Todd, and I smiled at her. At least I had someone in my corner.

"Put on my shirt," Ben instructed me.

"You want me to get a farmer's tan?"

"You want me to get out and put it on you myself?" he countered, his head cocking to the side in a way so crazy I knew he'd actually do it.

"Honey, the gray shirt is mine. Just put that one on. I can get a new one later," David told me, and I had to fight the urge to roll my eyes. He had just told me I should start standing up to my brother, and when I tried to do it, there he was backing him up!

I didn't want to argue anymore, so I slipped the t-shirt over my head. It was way too long for me and fell well past the bottom of the bathing suit, which I was sure pleased Ben. When I looked up, David was staring at me, a dumbfounded look on his face.

"What?"

He blinked, realized he had been caught, and mumbled, "Nothing." before diving under the water.

I took a deep breath and stepped into the pool, already uncomfortable with the situation I was in. I was clearly never one to have many friends, and being at a pool party, in a t-shirt, with a bunch of kids I barely knew and my judgmental brother did not seem like the start to a good story.

I turned out to be a little wrong, though, and a little too quick to judge. My story turned out pretty good in the end. I just didn't have a clue what was coming.

Yeah i saw david in person hes tiny and sweet and funny so i wrote this for my tiny and sweet and funny boy who i love so dearly