Chapter Six

6. ALONE IN THE DARK

It was dark by the time I settled in a tree I deemed far enough away from Christopher. He was probably going to call the royal search party after me but I didn’t care. I didn’t want to go near him or his stupid palace. My tree was good enough for me.

In fact, I think I’ll live up here! I don’t need a castle! Just a good old, comfy branch and some leaves to conceal me from the idiot. In fact, the leaves smell so much that he probably can’t sniff me out. From what I’ve learned about vampires, their sense of smell isn’t as honed as their sense of hearing and it’s the other way around for werewolves.

They really were opposites…

Another traitor tear slipped down my cheek before I could stop it, and I hastily wiped it away. I didn’t like that I was crying over him. He didn’t even like me.

‘No wonder my mother doesn’t like you! I can totally relate to her feelings!’

That definitely implies that he hates me as much as his mother, and that’s a lot.

Another tear broke free and I tried to swallow the lump in my throat. Why should I cry over him? I’m sure he’s probably in the castle now boasting about how he finally managed to loose his unstable mate in the forest. Now he’ll be able to have all the vampire chicks he wants and chose his own mate.

There wouldn’t be any search party. He was probably looking for a way to accidently loose me this whole time. What would he do with Tayla? Send her to an orphanage?

I’ll find her again once I figure out how to get off of this stupid continent and back to the U.S. Hopefully she won’t get too scared when they send her away.

Nah, she’s strong. She’ll be okay.

Two more tears trailed down as I thought about what it was going to be like for her to lose another family. She had already lost so much already.

‘God, this sucks,’ I croaked out into the silent night. There was no reply. Not even a rustle of unease from a bunny or something.

My heart skipped a beat when I thought of all the vampires just outside of the woods. They probably all hated me. I mean, if my own soul mate hates me then I have no hope.

I must really be a horrible person.

Well of course I was a horrible person! With all the things that happened when I first met Christopher- I broke my best friend’s heart! I’m probably going to Hell!

For some reason Hell seemed more appealing then living in a world where Christopher hated me.

I frowned down at my wrists. It had been a very, very long time since I self harmed. In fact, that sort of stuff stopped around the time I turned sixteen. I just decided that it wasn’t worth it. Now I couldn’t even remember what it felt like to do in the first place.

Was I so hurt that I wanted to slit my wrists? Maybe the pain in my heart would go away if I did that…

No. I promised myself that I would never let a boy affect me in that type of way. I didn’t go through all that shit to find a better life only to be chained down by cutting again. No way.

Christopher meant a lot with me, but he didn’t mean that much.

I wiped away a couple more tears before resting my head on the tree trunk and shutting my eyes. The gentle sway of the night breeze calmed my racing heart and I relaxed in my awkward position. Soon enough, I was asleep.