Chapter Thirty One

31. Chrissie Saves the Day… At A Price

I felt the air hit my face for what I assumed to be one last time as the King of Astria swung the blade of sunlight metal down on my face. My biggest regret would be not being able to protect my children.

            Oh, and not finding my special smurf country. What a bummer.

            Wait a second. Why the donkeys was I not dead yet? This wasn’t a dramatic anime- the deadly hit wasn’t meant to last ten hours!

There was a smash and the sound of squabbling. My eyes flew open to the scene of my protector somehow managing to turn the blade around and stab it through King Edward’s broken heart. He then pulled it back out again in favor of shoving some sort of plant into my almost father-in-law’s mouth. I watched as the king’s eyes rolled back into his head and he collapsed onto the floor.

Was he… dead?

            You did well Emilee, a small, snarky voice in my head commented. Not only did you fail to be the epic and selfless heroine, but you couldn’t even prevent people from dying- and that was the whole reason you made this decision in the first place!

            To say I was feeling a bit like an idiot was an understatement. So much for protecting everyone, I had become the useless princess that couldn’t even walk without help.

            Then again, I had to factor in that I was so pregnant that even turning over took a bucket-of-hippos-load of effort and, at times, assistance.

            “Emilee,” Nicolas murmured and turned to see me staring at the bodies in horror. “Did he hurt you, or the twins?”

            “No,” I whispered as tears fell down my face. “But Nicolas… You… Y-Your arm!” (A/N Total Luffy moment right there haha)

            “I’m glad you’re safe,” he just sighed and kissed my forehead.

            “NO! NUH UH! YOU CANNOT BE SO BLASÉ ABOUT THIS! YOU AREN’T SHANKS FROM ONE PIECE, UNCLE NICOLAS (1)! DON’T PRETEND THAT IT DOESN’T HURT LIKE A BITCH, YOU PHONEY PENGUIN PICKLE EATER! WHO THE HELL WOULD KILL A PENGUIN JUST TO PICKLE IT ANYWAYS? HOW DO YOU EVEN MAKE PICKLED FOOD?” I knew somewhere in the back of my head that I was panicking, but that little sensible part of me was taken over by complete hysteria. “THIS IS ALL MY FAULT!”

            I covered my face with my hands in an attempt to stop looking at the place where Nicolas’ arm had once been, which was now just a torn sleeve. He had obviously taken the killing blow for me, which resulted in him loosing an appendage. I’d never felt so guilty in my life.

            “I can’t even feel it.”

            “THAT’S BULLSPIT!”

            “Okay, it does hurt a little.” Nicolas rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly with his remaining hand. His arm had been severed half way up from the elbow, and was bleeding at a ridiculous pace.

            “A LITTLE?” I frowned. “Or do you have crazy powers that make you regrow limbs?”

            “No.”

            “THEN HOW ARE YOU NOT PANICKING?”

            Nicolas smiled at me gently before placing his hand on top of my head. “I’m just happy I came in time, Princess.”