Chapter Eleven

To make up for all of the uploads I've missed <3

11. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME

I stared at the calendar on the wall next to the door.

            My friend James had put it there before he was chucked out and banished from the dungeons by Christopher. He used to bring me food three times a day as my personal chef, now I didn’t even know if he was still breathing. It didn’t matter to my lovely ‘mate’ that he was gay. No males were allowed around me. It was as simple as that. 

            And because of that little slip up by the kitchen staff, he had made it that no one, and I mean no one, was allowed near me. Not even the women in the castle.

            After being completely isolated for a few days, it seemed like I lost track of reality. Everyone was too scared to bring food down to me so I was starving. My hair had grown greasy and my skin covered in sweat, since I was too weak to get to the bathroom. All I wanted was a bit of bread- something I fantasied about.

            The calendar was the only thing that kept me sane. In the small desk I managed to find some stationary and a notepad to keep me occupied, but the pages had long ran out. Now the best part of my day was dragging myself off the bed and crossing out one of the boxes. Currently, I’d crossed out fourteen of them.

Fourteen days without food. Shouldn’t I be dead?

Sometimes I wished I were. I wished that I could just die peacefully in my sleep and forget about the constant hunger and desperation.

I was extremely close to just eating the sheets of my bed or something equally gross.

Maybe this was how Christopher planned to make sure I didn’t escape- starve me until I couldn’t move. It was working.

So anyways, back to the calendar and away from such dreary topics. If the calendar was correct, and I’m pretty sure it was, tomorrow was my eighteenth birthday. Or maybe today was my eighteenth birthday. It depended on the time- which was pretty late by my guess. 

Eh, I’ll just say that it’s midnight.

“Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday dear Emilee-AKA-me, Happy Birthday to me.” The song sounded more like a funeral march than anything else.

I yawned softly before lying back on the bed, my bones creaking and rubbing against each other. The date was just making me more depressed and sleeping sounded better than staring at a calendar all night. Closing my eyes, I tried my best to relax my body that probably looked like a skeleton. I was a stick before I stopped eating, I didn’t even want to think about what I looked like now.

Suddenly, my wrists became numb. I didn’t realize it until the numbness seemed to travel up my fingers. Bringing my hands up in the darkness, I saw that the looked completely normal.

Maybe I was hallucinating?

Just to be safe, I pulled the duvet over myself and then put my hands under my ass. That should’ve warmed them up.

But the numbness continued. In the space of a couple of minutes, I couldn’t feel my hands at all. I couldn’t even wiggle my fingers.

What is happening to me? Am I going to die?

The numbness returned up my wrist and began to travel through my arm, leaving a feeling of coldness in its wake. I took my arms out from under myself and tried to lift them up, but they just flopped lifelessly. There was nothing I could do.