Chapter Twenty Three

The cover on the side was made by breakthrough_3, and has come 3rd in the cover competition! :D

Next chapter, ENJOY! :)

23. An Unexpected Medical Condition

The day I found out started out pretty normally. I woke up to an annoying bell that rang in all the rooms at exactly seven o’clock and sprinted into my bathroom after a few minutes of trying to ignore it. After puking up my dinner from the night before, I pulled on the warmer of the three gowns because it was starting to get ridiculously cold. Winter was on its way.

            My friends and I had taken to having a whole table just for us in the Banquet Hall. We were the only people who talked and our voices tended to echo in the silence. The headmistress loved to glare at me while I ate like she thought I’d spontaneously combust from her gaze.

            Sadly, the habits I’d picked up from my classes had stuck and I now ate like a prissy princess. My back automatically went straight and I always used different utensils for different things. I missed when I could slouch and shove food in my mouth with my hands… but I guess being neat and delicate was a habit now. It was so depressing!

            Before we went off to classes the headmistress stood up and called our attention.

            “Instead of your classes today, the teachers and I have decided to have a function where we will have visitors from four highly regarded people: Crown Prince Ryanlow of Tyracen, King Jeryn and Queen Ianna-Rose of Aoinia and Queen Madeleine of Astria! They have all come with an assortment of dukes and secondary heirs to the throne.”

            No way. Christopher’s mom was here? What the hell! You’d think that she would’ve sent a letter before coming or something?

            “We’ve had your gowns laid out in your bedrooms, you and your assistants have three hours now to get you all ready.”

“THAT’S NOT LONG ENOUGH TO LOOK PRESENTABLE!” Princess Bernadette of Ivanorl and Princess Valeriana of Draconia cried at the same time. Considering Bernadette was an ogre and Valeriana was part dragon, it was understandable that they were freaking out.

            “Well, that is all the time we can allocate you,” was the headmistress’s calm reply. The two girls instantly stood up and glided out of the room, about ten maids following each of them.

            “Will I ever wear pants again?” I asked myself as we all walked up to our rooms.

            “Probably not,” Char sighed. “Did you know that one of the dukes coming is actually the illegitimate son of the King of Tyracen. Meaning that he’s technically Kai’s brother-in-law!”

            I looked over at Kai to see her shrug. “Aberon is really nice. I don’t see anything wrong with him, even if he’s a ‘bastard’…”

            “I guess we’ll meet him tonight,” Jessa concluded quietly before we split up into our respective rooms. I only had two assistants- vampire assistants, that is- in mine, and they were standing beside a mannequin with a gown on it. The mannequin made me laugh as I remembered Christopher’s phobia, though the smile soon fell from my face when I was reminded of where he was.

            The dress was pretty. It was a light aqua with a sweet heart neckline. The bodice that finished at the waist was covered in silver beads. Even though I wasn’t usually big on dresses, I couldn’t help but be excited to wear it.