Chapter Fourteen

Woo, double upload!! To make up for all the ones I've missed <3

* Not Edited *

14. OUTSIDE THE PALACE

Ellen and Edith were helping me get ready for the date that Christopher had planned. They were poking and prodding me, pulling a pointless flatiron through my hair (which was naturally straight) and splattering face paint on my cheeks. The dress they’d picked out for me was silvery-gold and had a high collar. I was pretty uncomfortable in it since the hem barely reached mid thigh.

            I didn’t want to look like a slutty walrus.

            While waiting for Ellen to stop fussing around with the back of my dress, I took the time to look at myself in the mirror. It seemed like the first time I’d done it in ages.

            To my surprise, I didn’t look like… me. It could have been because I was a newly changed vampire, or it could have just been because I hadn’t seen myself in a while- but there was a definite difference from what I thought I looked like.

            I looked older and more mature. My face was thinner and my cheekbones were more defined. This may have just been because of the whole ‘no eating’ thing, but that theory was destroyed when I realized that my usually miniscule boobs had grown. I must have been closing in on a C cup!

            That, or it was the dress. It was probably the dress.

            My hair was way longer than it had been last time I checked. It reached past my ass.

            Someone needs a haircut. I put it on my mental to-do list that I didn’t have ten minutes ago. I figured that most people have on in their head, so why couldn’t I? It was almost like having an invisible robotic voice in your ear whispering the order of your day!

            Well, not really, but that would be cool.

            Oh crap, I forgot what I was meant to do… Parrot parasites!  

            Hey, that could make a tongue twister! Parrot parasites on party parade in Paradise Park. Say it really fast! I dare you!

            “Emilee, would you stop shifting around? You’re like a little earthworm!” Ellen complained while trying to tie up the bow perfectly.

            “I’m not blind!” I cried in outrage. “Nor do I create compost! Well, I could if I had one of those recycling toilets but nooo! Vampires don’t do anything to contribute to the ecosystem!”

            Edith chuckled lightly at me before fixing some of the hair around my face. “You certainly are unique, little one.”

            “I’m not little either! Or blind! Stop making me have invisible disabilities!”

            “Are you saying that all short people have a disability?” Ellen snorted.

            “No.”

            “Why?”

            “Cause that would be racist?” it came out as a question. Both twins burst out laughing.

            “You, my dear Emilee,” Edith said between giggles, “are going to be a fantastic queen.”

            My face instantly fell. “You seem to be the only one who thinks so…”