Canada's Funniest Home Video #1

A/N: I'm planning on adding these "flashback" chapters every ten chapters or so. Here's the first one. Enjoy!

***

Canada's Funniest Home Video #1

Fee aged 5 • Luke aged 7 • Darcy aged 9

"Girl Time"

***

"So, Princess Fee..." Victoria addressed the pretty little girl bedazzled in pink taffeta from over the rim of a dainty tea-cup belonging to Melanie's finest set of china.

Ophelia stuck her tiny pinky primly outwards as she finished sipping from a tiny, delicate porcelain cup and set it on the matching saucer. (Thank you, Amazon.ca.) She tried and failed to keep a poised, regal expression on her face as she turned her attention to her Aunt Victoria, who was dressed in a long, flowing, silky summer dress for the occasion.

Aunt Victoria was always so pretty, thought Fee. Just like Mommy. And Aunty Alison too.

Victoria's dark eyes sparkled mirthfully as she glanced around Melanie's ornately-decorated dining-room table. The polished oak surface was draped with a lacy, cream-coloured table cloth and set with gold-rimmed teacups, saucers, and side-plates. At the centre of table, two steaming pots of tea and coffee in elaborately-designed china teapots sat amidst vases of flowers, plates of sugar cookies, princess-themed cupcakes, cake-pops, brownies, mini cucumber-and-cheese sandwiches, a cheese platter, sliced fruits and veggies, and several other tasty treats. And, of course, Vicky's specialty and everyone's favourite, chocolate-covered strawberries set onto cake-pop sticks, lathered and drizzled in three different kinds of chocolate and dipped in an assortment of sprinkles, skor-bits, and chopped-up mini-marshmallows.

They may have gone a little overboard, as per usual.

"Since this is a princess tea party," Victoria began conspiratorially, "And we are all princesses at this table..." Ophelia and Sienna exchanged excited, giddy looks with one another as they listened to Aunt Victoria's gentle voice. Victoria leaned in towards both of the little girls seated across from her and confided lowly, "It's time to decide what your princess superpowers are."

Ophelia gasped, surprised. She looked to her right to where Melanie was spreading strawberry jam and thick Devonshire cream onto a buttery golden scone. "Mommy! Princesses have superpowers?"

Melanie gave her daughter a sage wink. "Of course they do."

"Mom! What's your princess superpower?" Sienna, dressed in a sparkling, baby-blue Cinderella dress with matching slippers and a tiara, asked Alison.

Alison swallowed a bite of chocolate cake extremely slowly as she wracked her brain for something impressive but honest. "My princess superpower..." A leisurely sip of tea, "Is that I get to read lots of books at my work, and I get to wave my magic wand and decide which books get sold in the store, and which books have to get thrown in the garbage."

Ophelia and Sienna stared at her blankly for a moment, apparently unenthralled by Alison's successful career with a major Canadian publishing house.

"That sounds like a boring superpower," Sienna commented frankly, shaking her head and chomping into a slice of watermelon.