Chapter Sixteen

I decided to attend the remaining classes after lunch.

“It’s good that you’ve come to your senses” I think Denver wants to have the rooftop all for himself. He’s been trying to convince me to go to class since break time. I guess he finally got what he wanted.

“I guess I won’t be cutting classes for a while.” I said facing the ground.

“Hmm? Why?”

“Why? I don’t even know why. I just got a feeling that I need to fix myself up. It’s like, something hit me saying that all the things I’ve been doing was wrong. Denver noticed I was quiet so he just sighed and patted me on the back.

“You don’t have to answer me dude. I understand.” He understands? How? I don’t even understand it myself and him? Well, that’s what you can expect if you have a stalker for a friend.

“See ‘ya Denver”

“See ‘ya Joseph”

I finally went out the school’s rooftop and into the staircase where Maria was waiting “Let’s go” she said, with a smile on her face. Going down the stairs, walking in the hallway, we were silent. The bitter painful smile on her face brought me so much guilt. All my life up until now, I’ve been blaming everything to her, the reason why I’m so different, the reason why I’m so afraid, I thought it was all her fault. But it’s not; she has the same situation as me. She’s also different and I know now that she’s also afraid. She forces herself to kill for both our sakes and what does she get? A whole big boxing glove filled with hatred and shunning from me. Why did this happen to us? How were we connected to the tree? I know someone must be blamed for this, it’s not our fault! Why do we have to bind by a woody chain covered by leaves?

“Maria..” I broke our silence

“W-what is it?” she turned to me with a forced smile.

“Would you mind if I visited your house?”

She was shocked with my question. I’m not surprised. I want to go to her house so I could investigate, if I could remember, she said this was all her parents’ doings, I want to meet them and punch them in the face for  controlling me without my permission and another round of punches so I could force them to give me answers. Call it brutal, but that’s all I could think of.

“Sure, when?” she answered. She always answers to my requests, which is very convenient.