Chapter Twenty Six (Krista's POV)

"God Dammit!" he sent the coffee table flying as he kicked it to the wall. You could see that he wasn't very pleased. Other than the curse he just uttered, he was shaking and glaring in anger, his hands were balled into a fist and he was biting his lip trying to hold back the anger that already showed. I sat on a chair not too far from the place where he released his frustrations, also, absent mindedly listening to him. "I had him! I almost had him! But that stupid girl had to come along and ruin it!"

He was talking about Joseph, my son. He successfully persuaded me to sign his papers. How? It was easy for him to do so in the beggining. He knew I never cared for my wellfare, that whatever deal or threat he gives to me won't work. So to get Joseph, he threatens Joseph.

He knew I did not have the strength to hurt him, nor the strength to protect Joseph, so he said: I won't leaveuntil I gethim, Krista. And aslongas I'm here, I'll pay back all the discipline I should've given him from the day I left.

I didn't know what was going on in that mind of his! He wants Joseph because he needed a minor under his care so that the government could give him money, and that minor is Joseph. Now, why would he have the idea of hurting a vital plan of his evil plan, his son no less?! 

I know you're probably wondering why this man has connections to the government. It was all because of Jian's death.

Ah... Jian's death... the turning point of the Lives of the Strauss family.

You see, Jian was the best child you could ever have, a dreamsonso to say. He was kind, friendly, smart, atheletic, industrious, honest and most of all he knew how to show respect. And the Father was proud too, he was secretary of the mayor and he made sure to spend the right amount of time with his beloved son. They say you can never break the bond of a father and son, they are the perfect example. You could never imagine the joy I felt watching my two boys have fun together.

Then, when Jian was turning ten, I had another baby boy and his name was Joseph. Christiansaid that he looked exactly like his elder brother, but Jian immediately denied it... he said Joseph had more special traits than him.

Our family had a lighter atmosphere since Joseph's birth. All of us, Christian Jian and I, had our own predictions for him. Christian wanted him to become as successful as Jian, Jian wanted him to just grow up on his own pace and I, well, didn't really want him to grow up yet... you know us mothers.

Then came that time. I remember it exactly, it was a Friday and Jian just got home from his school recognition for being the top of his class again. We were all proud of him, even Joseph who was then two years of age. Christian thought it would be great if they celebrated so he decided to bring Jian to an amusement park. Of course, Jian, being as modest as he was, denied, but soon after a few persuasion, he gives and agrees.

Before they left, he patted his little brother's head and said "Sorry you can't come to the amusement park, Joseph. Don't worry, Mom will keep you company. Next time we'll go together."

Joseph was a shy kid, he often spoke but he expressed his feelings very well... he raised his hand and then raised his pinky, signifying that his brother should promise. Jian's eyes widened at his actions, but he then smiled softly and wrapped their pinkies together.

"I promise."

Of course, the promise was never fulfilled. Their car collided with a dump truck on the way home, Chrisrtian survived but, unfortunately, Jian didn't. The funeral was held three days after and Christian and I cried to our hearts content while Joseph just stood there like he didn't understand what he was doing there. He was two years old... of course he won't understand, I bet he doesn't even remember the promise also.