Chapter Forty Three

We were finally walking home. Cheryl was gone on the phase of the Earth, and I should've felt relieved... yet, I got this heavy feeling in my heart. I can't feel guilty, I don't have the right. Maria has been killing for our sake since forever and I have just started. I have to stay strong... I have to get used to this.

I have to get used to killing-?

"J-Joseph... you can put me down now..."

I only snapped out when Maria had spoken. I look above me to find her all pink and flustered. 

Ever since we left school, I carried Maria on my back. She was still sick and I was the reason why she ran frantically from the house to the school.

"No, Maria. You're sick and you just ran half a kilometer. You need some rest. Plus, you're pretty light so it's not a big deal."

I felt her held on to my shoulder some more. Probably shy due to my statement. I am a little- no, a lot happy that she's acting like herself, not the worried yet sick girl, or the psychopath woman.

"B-but Joseph, I'm fine now! I-I mean, you already fed the tree! I'm fully cured!"

That was when it hit me... I fed the tree and it cured Maria. I don't know if I should be happy or not... I mean, I am overjoyed to hear that Maria's alright, but me feeding the tree bit I am not sure.

"It's still a no, Maria. You are staying on my back until we get home. That's final."

I heard her whimper and I felt her bury her face in my hair. I could feel her rubbing it with a touch of embarrassment,which I find adorable.

"Hey Joseph, why did you decide to kill her that way?" suddenly she asked, kind of disrupting the pace of my walk a bit.

"It's just the first thing that popped into my mind..." I stated unsure. Come to think of it, I never did think my reason of killing Cherry through. I just really did it cause it was the first thing that popped into my mind.

"I don't want you to do anything like that again, okay?" I was caught off guard by her plead. It had only hit me that it must have been painful to be cheated on -although I didn't actually do it- and she experienced it the whole day.

"I promise Maria, never again," I then swore. Next time, I won't let emotions get the best of me... Next time, I'll think rationally...

I'll do all of those the next time I kill.

"I bet you guys kissed," I almost tripped when Maria had suddenly stated that. I turned to her and shouted due to the fact that I was insulted, "I would go far as of leaning close, but not actually kissing her! I swear, I didn't even touch her lip-"

A memory flashed into my mind. Cherry pulling me and our lips touching. That was a crucial part of my act. I almost got caught! Good thing I was able to hide my disgust with a hand.

"Joseph?" suddenly a frightening cold air blew past us, immediately I knew I was in big trouble, "You didn't touch her lips right?"

Should I lie and save my self, or should I confess and tell her that it was an accident? Both choices are really dangerous, to be honest.

"I... I accidentally touched her lips," I ended up spitting it out.

"With what? Fingers? Hand? Or your lips too?" I was starting to feel doomed as Maria's scary interrogating skills were pushing me down so hard.

"M-my lips..."

Right after I answered, I heard an instant bam hit the ground. Maria had jumped off my back and on her feet. I was too afraid to look at her for I know that she's probably pissed off.