Chapter 20

"Alright, show me what you got." Rainfeather smirked.

Nightpaw snorted and ran at Rainfeather, causing her to stumble.

"Woah, you got some speed.." Rainfeather said. Nightpaw laughed a little and charged again, but this time Rainfeather was ready.

She leaped into the air and sailed high over Nightpaw's head.

Nightpaw stood in awe for a moment before she leaped after Rainfeather and slashed across her face.

Rainfeather lunged for her, and pinned her down.

"Good! Your quicker than I thought. Now, I'm going to show you some good attack moves." Rainfeather said, getting into an attacking crouch, Nightpaw copying her.

"Okay, now. Your going to leap at your opponent, but dive down before you reach them. This will give you the opportunity to attack them while their busy swatting at air where you once were."

"Watch."

Rainfeather leaped, then dived down and swatted at where the opponents neck would originally be.

"Now you try." She said, turning back to Nightpaw.

Nightpaw copied what Rainfeather did almost perfectly.

"Well, your fast at everything aren't you?" Rainfeather smiled.

Smiled..

Rainfeather didn't remember the last time she had actually smiled, not it being an insane, killer smile.

Nightpaw, not noticing her brief pause, smiled and continued practicing the battle move, mixing it with others she had already learned.

Rainfeather sat and watched. This is what it was like to actually train an apprentice. She wondered if Stormpaw would have been the same way, happy.

"Alright, next move." Rainfeather meowed, snapping herself out of her thoughts. Nightpaw quickly bounded over and sat down, ready to watch.

"I can't really demonstrate this one, but I'll tell you what to do." She said.

Nightpaw nodded and stood up.

"You'll need your claws for this one." Rainfeather meowed.

"But it'll hurt you!" Nightpaw squeaked.

"It'll be fine." She responded.

"You sure?"

"Positive."

"Okay..." Nightpaw meowed, sliding out her claws.

"Alright. What your going to do is jump on my back and sink your claws into my shoulders. This keeps you away from the opponent's, which in this case is me, paws."

Nightpaw nodded and leaped onto Rainfeather's back and sunk her claws into her flesh.

Rainfeather hissed and tried to kick her off, but to no avail. She then rolled on her back, squishing Nightpaw beneath her.

She got up and Nightpaw scrambled to her paws. "I'll teach you how to get out from under a cat tomorrow."

Nightpaw nodded. "Thanks, Rainfeather. But what are you going to do at the battle?"

Rainfeather shook her head slowly. "I don't know, Nightpaw. I don't know.."