Chapter Five

Rainfeather watched as Bramblekit dashed out of camp. Quietly, she followed, turning her head back to make sure no cat was following. The adventurous kit ran down to the river and pawed playfully at the water. Slowly she creeped down the small hill and stopped a few tail-lengths behind him.

She saw a nearby lily pad, and a fox had recently passed through here. Perfect. She thought, grabbing the lily pad and quickly pulling it out of the water. "Hi Rainfeather!" the kit squeaked.

Rainfeather grinned. "What are you doing out of camp? You should be punished for that..." Quickly she grabbed the kit and shoved him underwater, covering his mouth with the lily pad. The kit squirmed under her strong hold, then suddenly went still. She let her paw up, the kit's body rising to the surface slowly. She sighed and rolled her and the dead kit in mud to get the scent off.

She could easily blame Bramblekit's death on the fox that had recently past. She sniffed the air to make sure the fox scent was still strong. Then she raced back to camp and yowled.

All the cats came running. "Rainfeather! What's wrong?!" Nightflare asked. "B-Bramblekit is d-dead." she stuttered. "A fox got him.. it was too late...'" She said, looking at her paws. Rainfeather heard gasps of shock and wails of despair echoing throughout the cave.

"My kit!" Willowbreeze wailed. "My poor kit!" She dashed out of camp, a few other cats following close behind. She did it. She had gotten away with Bramblekit's death. She looked up to see the thin outline of Secretstar, who gave a small nod telling her she did the right thing.

But she couldn't get rid of that guilty feeling.

Nightflare came back in with the drowned kit, and she flattened her ears. Rainfeather glanced at Willowbreeze, tears falling from her silver cheeks.

"I-It's okay Rainfeather... It wasn't your fault." Hopespirit said reassuringly as she came up beside her.

If only you knew

***

Rainfeather curled up in her nest, not sure if she was ready to greet the Dark Forest. "Welcome back Rainfeather." Secretstar said, dipping her head. "You have earned your place in the Dark Forest." Rainfeather looked over to a familiar tabby tom next to her.

She stood up and dipped her head. "Thank you, Secretstar." She heard a young cat screeching and perked her ears. Rainfeather looked behind her to see a dark grey cat pinning down Hawkpaw, a young NightClan apprentice. "Your not the only one here, Rainfeather."

Rainfeather gave a curt not and looked back to the brown tom. She had seen him at gatherings before, why couldn't she remember his name? "This is Bearfang." Secretstar said. "The MorningClan deputy."