Chapter 17

Rainfeather chuckled evilly as cats started to back away.

All except Sunshard.

Paying no attention to her, Rainfeather pushed passed her and made her way to the entrance of camp, her tail and head held high.

Once she reached the entrance, she darted out and ran up the snowy hill, and to the NightClan border.

She went down all the way to the river, where both DuskClan and NightClan borders stopped.

Right before the river, was a large cliff. In that cliff was a cave.

This is her new home, for now.

She padded inside and looked around.

It wasn't too bad, but it wasn't good enough to be permanent.

***

Throughout the rest of the day, she had made a nest out of moss and leaves, caught two mice and had covered her scent with what looked like parsley.

She sat next to the shore and watched the sun fall, not noticing the brightly colored cat appear behind her.

"Rainfeather?"

Rainfeather whipped around and growled, ready to attack.

It was Sunshard.

"What do you want?" Rainfeather growled.

"Please... come back." she pleaded.

"I can't. Sister's- or should I say Hopestar banished me, remember?"

She sighed and hung her head.
"This is all my fault...."

Rainfeather's ears perked up. Why would it be her fault? It was Rainfeather's choice to go on a killing spree.

"What do you mean, your fault?" Rainfeather asked, relaxing a little.

"When we were apprentices... Secretstar came to me and asked me to join her and take over the clans. I, of course, remembering the stories the elders told us about the Dark Forest denied and told her to pick on someone else.... someone like you."

Sunshard hung her head and shame.

Rainfeather was stunned. But she enjoyed it, killing cats.

"I enjoy it."

"What?" Sunshard asked.

"Killing, I enjoy it." Rainfeather responded but kept her head high.

"That's why Lionpaw and Stormpaw left. Because of me." Rainfeater continuted.

"And that's why I'm leaving. To stop myself from killing innocent cats."

Sunshard's eyes held such sorrow it was impossible to think she was usually always happy.

"Please.. don't.. I'll try and convince Hopestar to let you join again, and if you can stop killing.."

Rainfeather laughed at that. "Stop killing? As much as I want to, I can't. it's a need-a necessity in my life. Killing is my life.