Chapter Eleven

Maris jumped own off her horse as they drew near to Dawnstar. The ride had been uneventful and somewhat slow. She patted the horse's hind leg.

"Go on Shadowmere, you know where to go." She said. The horse complied and wandererd off. Dawnstar was only small and because of it's positioning on the coast of Skyrim, it was always covered by a blanket of snow. it being summer, the snow was only light. Vilkas jumped down from his horse and stretched. It had been nothing but constant riding but it meant they had made it to Dawnstar in good time.

"I have something to do but the inns over there, you can't miss it." Maris said, pointing down one of the roads.

"Listener!" Came a voice from behind them. Maris hardly had a chance to turn around before a short, red haired man leaped at her, wrapping his arms tightly around her waist.

"It's been too long since poor Cicero has seen you listener..." He cooed. Maris smiled and lovingly stroked his hair.

"Hello Cicero." She said softly.

Cicero... For some reason that voice sounded familiar to Vilkas. His mind fell back to the journals that Maris was reading. It was now that he realized that that was the name on the cover. He looked at the man. He was only slightly taller then Maris and he wore a red and black jester's outfit, though he didn't seem to be one. Maris pulled away and kissed the mans forehead lightly.

"How has everything been while I've been away?" She asked.

"Lonely without you, sweet listener, Nazir doesn't treat Cicero as well as you." He muttered. Maris smirked and tucked a stray hair behind his ear. Her eyes where soft and loving. Vilkas tried to hide the snarl that came to his face. He couldn't help but question the relationship between them. Maris had never mentioned having a lover before... Then again, she never spoke about herself at all. He was sure that this man wasn't a person Maris would choose... But she was being very affectionate towards him. Broul rested his head against Vilkas. Vilkas scowled down at the bear, already tired of it's presence. Cicero's eyes fell upon Vilkas and he looked back to Maris, his orange eyes filled with concern.

"He isn't a wolf is he Mistress? Cicero is wary of wolves. Astrid had a wolf and that wolf tried to kill poor Cicero..." He whimpered. "Cicero doesn't want another Mistress with a wolf."

Vilkas glared at Maris.

"I didn't tell him." She snapped. "He just tends to know that kind of thing."

"Cicero can see it in his eyes, they're the same as Arnbjorn's eyes. Cold and harsh and grey." Cicero scowled.

"Arnbjorn?" Vilkas asked. "How do you know that name? and what is a Listener?"

"Like i said..." Maris began.

"I get it!" Vilkas snapped. "There are allot of things i don't know!" 

"Well, i have business to attend to. Just be cautious." Said Maris, patting the side of his face. "Riften isn't the only dangerous place in Skyrim and everything here may not be what they appear."

Vilkas swatted her hand away. "What do you think i am, an idiot?"

"No but you are gullible." Maris sneered. "I am only cautioning you!"

"Caution noted." Vilkas growled.

Maris sighed and headed down towards the shore, closely followed by Cicero and Broul.

        Vilkas found himself in the tavern of the inn. There wasn't much else he could do while waiting for Maris to conclude what ever business she had. Oddly, he felt alone... He had always liked being alone but he had never felt lonely before. When had he gotten so used to Maris being there? He had to stop himself thinking like that. If he didn't he would find himself too deep to get out. The realization hit him that by telling himself not to think about it, it made him think about it more. When did this begin?