'I hurt her and I won't forgive myself for that...'

It had been about three years after that and Vilkas and Maris had grown quite considerably. Still,  they spent all of there time with one another. Maris was his entire life.

Vilkas waited outside of Jorvaskr as usual, waiting for Maris to arrive. she was usually there by now but there was no sign of her. Vilkas sighed and St on the steps, his chin in his hands and his elbows on his knees. They were suppose to be training together and there was even talk of Maris possibly becoming a companion in a few years when she turned 18. Then they'd not just be a best friends but shield siblings. Vilkas sat and waited for what felt like an eternity and still no Maris. Where was she?

It was another half an hour before Maris had finally appeared. She was walking slowly with her head slightly down. She dragged her feet and her arms hung loosely. 
"Maris!" Vilkas called, running down the stairs to greet her.
"I'm sorry I'm late... I was caught up in something." She mumbled.
Vilkas raised an eyebrow. 
"What's the matter Maris, you don't seem like your self..." He asked, the concern plain in his voice.  Without another word, Maris wrapped her arms around him and buried her face into Vilkas' shoulder. Vilkas was slightly taken back by this. He put his arms around her comfortingly.
"What's wrong?" He asked.
"I... I..." Maris muttered.  She pulled away and looked up at him. "I'm leaving..."
Vilkas' eyes widened in surprise.
"Leaving? What do you mean leaving?" He spluttered. 
"Skyrim. I'm leaving skyrim..." she whimpered, years filling her eyes.
"What! when?" Vilkas exclaimed.
"Today..." she cried, tears streaming down her face.
"What... Maris! You can't leave. I need you... I don't know what to do without you. You're my best friend... you're... you're my everything." Vilkas pleaded, feeling scalding tears stream down his face also.
"I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry but I don't have a choice... I don't want to leave skyrim... I don't want to leave you but I... I'm sorry."
Vilkas felt like he had just been stabbed through the heart... He felt sick to his stomach. His mind was racing. His knees felt ready to buckle. He didn't understand.  He didn't want to understand. He just wanted Maris to stay. He had never before felt such a crippling misery and it had hit him so fast... He didn't know how to react, so his body did before he could think about it.
"No!" He sobbed. "No I can't... I just can't... No you too... not you..."
He pulled her closer and tightened his grip
"I'm sorry Vilkas... but I'm afraid that I'm going going to have to say... goodbye..." she muttered.  Vilkas was racked with sobs and the only thing he could manage was to cry uncontrollably into Maris' shoulder. He just wanted to curl up into a ball and stop existing.
"Vilkas..." she whimpered.  Vilkas pulled away from her, holding her by the shoulders and looking her dead in the eye.
"Vilkas! Your... eyes..." she mumbled.  Vilkas brought his hand up to his eyes... He could feel the blood pumping faster through his veins, his jaw beginning to move and alter. He couldn't control it. He was too young to even know how. Having the wolf penned up certainly didn't help. He turned and ran away. Maris followed swiftly after him.

As he got out into the fields he staggered and fell to his knees, unable to bear the pain any longer. He couldn't stop it. Maris appeared shortly after.
"Go away Maris! I don't want to hurt you!" He pleaded.
"Vilkas, I can't just leave you like this!" She exclaimed. 
"Please! Just go. Plea-" his voice was cut off by a gut reaching cry of agony.  Maris turned away sharply not baring to look. She clamped her hands over her face but she could still hear the sounds of flesh ripping and Vilkas crying out. It wasn't like this when when she had first seen it. This was because he was trying to fight it.

Suddenly, everything went silent. She opened one eye cautiously and turned to face Vilkas, though it wasn't the human... He was turned away from her, hunched over, growling to himself. 
"Vilkas..." Maris muttered, reaching out a hand to touch his fur.
Suddenly,  he spun and snapped at her. She pulled her hand away just in time to avoid the wolf's bite. She stumbled back and before she knew it, the wolf was upon her. Vilkas pinned her to the floor. His large paws on her shoulders. They claws nipped at her skin. His snarl intensified to a threatening growl. His nose crinkled back and he bore his gleaming white teeth.
"V-vilkas!" Maris whimpered. The wolf tightened his hold on her. It's sharp claws digging right unto her flesh. The warm blood trickled down over her shoulders and she let out a high pitched cry of pain. This seemed to something to the wolf. It's eyes widened and it stumbled away, seeming to have gained a part of its humanity. He reeled back and turned away. The hair began to reseed and the giant mass of muscle and fur shrunk into flesh. Maris sat up in shock, tears streaming down her face.  She looked over to Vilkas who was human once more. He pulled his knees up to his chest and had his back to Maris. She rushed rushed to him and wrapped her arms around him from behind.
"Vilkas are you alright?" She gasped.
"How can you be asking me if I'm alright... I... I hurt you..." He muttered distantly.
"I... I'm fine Vilkas." She said. Vilkas turned and she cupped his face in hers. His eyes were back to the same wolfish grey as they had always been.
"Maris..." He whimpered. 
"Shh... its alright." Maris cooed, brushing the hair from his face. His eyes welled up again and he buried his face into her lap.
"I'm so sorry... I was just... so angry... you cane into my life and you made me love you and now your leaving just like my father. And like him you won't come back! I know you won't... and you'll forget all about me!..." He whimpered. Maris ran a hand through his hair.
"Vilkas... I promise you that I will never forget you..."