Chapter Twenty Eight

When Vilkas and Maris had returned later that night, they found Alaris still in the mead hall.
"Alright Alaris, i want you gone! I've put up with you being here for long enough! All you have done is cause trouble and disrupt the companions!" Maris hissed. Alaris sat on the table, one leg crossed over the other, an arrogant air over her.
"Aww, i was only having a little fun." She smirked.
"Well enough fun! I'm done with you and your childish games and if you arn't out of Whiterun by tomorrow or i swear i will rip out your heart with my bare hands, make ou eat it and watch you die slowly and painfully, choking on your own blood... and believe me I've been resisting that urge since you got here." Maris snapped.
Alaris sighed and stood up. "Listen Maris, i haven't been exactly truthful about my intentions." She said.
"How so?" Maris growled.
"I need your help." Alaris said begrudgingly.
" Help you? What makes you think i will help you after everything you've done!" Maris yelled.
"This isn't about me... Maris, i need your service as Dragonbane once again..." Alaris pleaded.
"You've handled every other dragon fine without me." Maris said coldly.
"This isn't 'every other dragon'..." Alaris muttered. Suddenly, Maris darkened and she knew exactly what Alaris meant by this.
"Vilkas, could you let us speak privately for a wile?" Maris asked, her voice blunt and serious.
"Of course..." Vilkas muttered, going towards the lower halls.  What where the talking about? Why did Maris suddenly look as if she was going to help Alaris? And why, that night, had they both disappeared?

The next day Vilkas was speaking to one if the guards in dragonsreach about some kind of animal that had gotten into the city. Fairly routine companion business. Suddenly,  the large double doors of the guard's quarters swung open. In walked Maris,  her long hair plated back and Alaris at her side. Following close behind were Aela, Farkas and a group of guards.
"Aela, i want you up at that lever over there, Farkas, the other!" Maris boomed.
"Men, at the sides, out of the way. You do not move, you do not attack. Even if this looks bad, you do not act until either me or Maris give order, you are only here in case this goes wrong, do you understand me!" Alaris exclaimed. "Go and get in your positions."
A chorus of yes ma'ams rose from the group of guards.
" Aela,  Farkas,  i want you to act on my signal, we only get one shot at this and it had to go right." Maris ordered.
"Yes Harbinger!" Both if the companions said in unison. The scurried off to the levers on the second level. Light shone in through the open side of the hall.

Vilkas stood forward.
"Maris!" He called. "What's going on!?"
Maris, eyes shot to him. "Vilkas? Vilkas, I've been looking for you everywhere!" She exclaimed.
"What, why?" Vilkas asked.  Maris looked at him, her brow furrowed.
"Vilkas... I don't want to have to say this but I'm leaving."She groaned.
"Leaving?! What do you mean leaving?!" He exclaimed.
"Listen, i don't have time to explain." Maris sighed. "I want you to take over as Harbinger to the companions."
"What?  You mean, until you cone back?" Vilkas asked. 
"I... I... This is a very dangerous mission... and I don't think it's one that i will come back from." Maris managed to say.
"Are you trying to tell me that you think you're going to die?!" Vilkas spluttered.
"Yes." Maris said bluntly. "And I'm sorry that this is so sudden but it is something that I have to do, the world as we know it hangs in the balance." She said. "I just want you to know, before I go... That I... I've really enjoyed having you as a friend."
"But Maris...!" Vilkas went to say but he could hardly get his words out before a voice called above his.
"Maris, were ready. It's now or never." Alaris yelled.
"Right!" She called back. She turned to Vilkas. "I'm sorry, just please try to stay out of the way,  I don't want you to get hurt."

Vilkas didn't know what to say but he wanted to say something to try an make her stay, if only for a few moments. He couldn't even find the words. I love you seemed the most obvious but she was already gone. She was stood behind Alaris who was on the stone fencing at the open end if the hall. She had feet spread and her head held high. What in Hircine's name could they possibly be doing.
"Are you ready Maris?" She called back.
"Ready" Maris yelled.
"Men? Companions?" Alaris asked.
A multitude of 'readys' and 'yes ma'ams' filled the room.
Alaris turned back and looked out across the sky.
"Here goes nothing..." Alaris muttered.
Vilkas watched in confusion as Alaris shouted out into the clouds. It was something that Vilkas didn't understand, seemingly in a different language. The shout seemed to have a physical presence that rippled outward.  It carried on through the sky. A sudden silence fell over whiterun and it was as if the whole of Skyrim had held there breath.
"Do you think it worked?" Alaris asked, turning back. Suddenly a deep, gravelly roar went up over whiterun. The call of a dragon.
"Look out!" Maris yelled, pulling her sister back off of the railing. Suddenly, as if from no where, a dragon, large and red, crashed into the room. It slid to a halt and immediately stood to its feet in a cloud of dust and debris. Maris and Alaris stood before its large, hostile eyes. It brought it's great head back and spewed fire over the two young women. Alaris hunched over her sister, shielding her from the blast. The flames lapped at her skin but seemed to do nothing. Seeing that his attack had no effect, the dragon took a lurching step forward. Maris and Alaris ran towards the other end of the hall. A fire ball was sent in their direction. It crashed into the door right beside Maris, she was thrown backwards and rolled to the floor in a heap of black cloaks and singed armor. Alaris threw ice shards towards the creature who, as she had wanted, turned it's attention to her. Maris dragged herself to her feet as the Dragon neared Alaris.  She drew her bow and aimed it at the dragon. She let it go. The creature turned it's head towards her for a moment and in that short window, Alaris took her over tuning and slipped past the dragon. Maris turned, making a wide arch for the open side of the hall. The Dragon turned to follow, it's tail smashing into the brickwork that crumbled beneath it's strength. Maris and Alaris stood strong beside one another as the creature neared. They didn't waver, they didn't move, not until the Dragon was so close that one wrong move could result on a horrific and painfully death. Maris looked up.
" Just a few more Steps..." she muttered to herself.  "... Aela, Farkas! NOW!"
The twins stumbled back as a large wooden neck hold wad dropped from the ceiling, pinning the Dragons head to the floor. The men rushed to secure it. Maris and Alaris stood back to compare them self's. They had just caught them self's a dragon.