Chapter Twenty Three

Maris did not return that night, or the next day. It had gotten late into the next night and Vilkas found himself in the mead hall after all the other companions had retired to their chambers. That was, apart from Alaris. She sat with her feet up on the table, resting far back on her chair in repose.
"This would really hurt if you actually did love Maris... but as you've insisted so clearly that you don't, i guess you're fine." She shrugged. Vilkas shot her a cold glare.
"No one's ever loved Maris so it's pretty normal that you don't. "
She paused and looked over at Vilkas who's brow was furrowing further with each comment.
"I think night walkers are incapable of love... and even if they are i doubt Maris would be."
Vilkas looked away.
"Not that that would matter much to you though, you hate her as much as everyone else..." she looked over at him to see if she had got a reaction.
"That is the case right... I mean, you said your self that you could NEVER love Maris. You'd probably be happier if she just don't come back."
"No! No I wouldn't! I know what your doing so just stop. I AM in love with Maris alright!"  Vilkas growled.
"Finally!" Alaris groaned. "Now all that's left is to admit that to her!"
"No." Vilkas said bluntly.
"And here I thought we were making progress." Alaris sighed.
"Maris would hate me and I'd rather stay where we are now,  then have her hate me more. " Vilkas muttered.
"Your just making feeble excuses so you don't have to face her." Alaris scowled.
"Alright,  I'm scared." Vilkas snapped. "I'm terrified! This isn't like facing some creature or bandit... its facing the person you love most In the world, knowing that just a few words can completely destroy you! I want to tell her! I really want to. I don't understand why I can't just say..."
The door opened silently and a hooded figure stepped into the mead hall, though neither Alaris or Vilkas had noticed.
"I'm In love with you!" He exclaimed. Maris' eyes widened and she let out a sharp gasp. Alaris and Vilkas turned there attention away from one another and towards her, standing with her hand over her mouth. Vilkas felt his stomach turn and his soul sink as if all the butterflies had just died.
"Maris..." Vilkas mumbled. Maris composed herself and lowered her head so that her hood covered her face in shadow.
"I'm going to bed." She said coldly, her voice barely a whisper but filling the room with a thick and heavy atmosphere. She walked towards the stairs. Vilkas was sill completely stunned... He could hardly bare to breath... He watched her disappear into the lower levels.
"You planned this! I don't know how and i don't know why! But you planned this!" Vilkas growled.
"Oh if only you knew what else I had planned." Alaris grinned. Vilkas' lip curled in disgust. He glared at the woman for a moment before swiftly following Maris.

Vilkas and Alaris... She could believe it but didn't expect it. Why wouldn't he love Alaris? Everyone loved Alaris. She was cheery and beautiful and perfect.  Her and Vilkas were both similar,  noble, head strong,  heroic, wise... stupid... annoying... arrogant... heavy handed... They both hurt her... They both hate her... she heard the door open but didn't look back. She already know who it was.
"Maris wait! I can explain this!" Vilkas pleaded as he followed Maris to her office.
"You make it sound like I care." Maris said coldly.
"I just... I don't want you to think that it's something that it isn't." Vilkas sighed. Maris stopped and turned to him, crossing her arms.
"I can't think what else it could possibly be. You don't have to beat around the bush. You love Alaris. I'm not surprised. Everyone does. That's just how it is."  Maris said. "I honestly don't care. Why in Nocturnal's name would I? I don't care about her and certainly not what you and her do together.  It's not of my business. "
"But Maris..." Vilkas pleaded.
"Why do you keep trying to explain? I don't care if it is what it looks like or if it isn't." Maris snapped.
"Maris..." Vilkas groaned. "Please..."
"Alright you stupid persistent mutt, explain." She muttered.
"It's... it's... complicated." Vilkas mumbled, realizing that he didn't actually now what to say.
"Great explanation. You really cleared that up." Mairs said sarcastically.
"I am not in love with Alaris and i never will be, what you heard... was a misunderstanding. " Vilkas said desperately.
"And yet I still don't care." Maris growled, turning back on her heels and walking away. Vilkas brushed his hair from his face and watched as she slammed the door behind her... He was getting closer to her and now she had been completely shut out from her again. He hadn't even had the chance to explain what he had meant when he had talked about her not remembering him. And it was all because of Alaris. Why was she doing this? Vilkas went back to his room where Broul was asleep beside his bed. Vilkas plodded down beside him and ran a hand through his soft fur. Broul shifted his head to rest on Vilkas' lap. His big brown eyes shone up at him. "I wonder how I'm going to fix this... git any ideas?" He mumbled. The bear tipped his head to one side.
"Yea... that's what I though..."

Maris lent against the door and unclasped her cloak. It fell around her feet and she slid down the door, curling in on herself. She buried her face into her knees and her white hair fell around her. Barbas sat before her and nuzzled his snout into her shoulder.
"What's the matter kid?" He asked.
"Nothing." She huffed.
"C'mon, who else am i gonna tell. I'm a talkin dog." Barbas said, tipping his head to one side.
"I... I don't know... I'm so angry and frustrated and he keeps telling me things that confuse me! He told me I didn't remember him... then he kept telling me he cared about me... then spends all his time with that... That... then he tells her he loves her then tried to tell me that it isn't what it looks like! And I'm an idiot because part of me want to believe him! I just... I don't want to accept that he's In love with anyone... I love him... he's the only person I've ever loved in that way... and she is stealing him away... well its not even stealing because he could never feel the same... I just... I'm better off alone... just like I've always been." Maris cried.
"There there kid, least you'll always have me..." Barbas said comfortingly.