Chapter Four

The journey to Winterhold was long and one they had decided to take by horse. Maris pulled her hood down further over her eyes. The sun was at it's highest point and it seemed it was beginning to poke through the many layers she wore to protect herself from it. It appeared her horse, Shadowmere felt the same, for every opportunity to talk in the shade, she took.

“There, There, girl, it won't be as bright soon.” She whispered into her ear. Shadowmere tossed her head back in response.

“It seems your horse is as week as you when it comes to sunlight.” Vilkas sneered.

Maris' nose crinkled in disgust. “I feel like I should be paying to watch a dog ride a horse!” She yelled.

“At least my steed can stand a little hot weather.” Vilkas growled.

“Fine I admit it! Sun is not a good thing for me, okay!” She hissed. “God you're like a dog with a bone.” She couldn't help but smirk at her own unintended wit.

“That was snide, even for you.” Vilkas sighed.

“I do try.” Maris smirked sisterly. Suddenly, an opening in the trees caused a beam of light to hit Maris' face. She hissed and fell down against shadowmere's saddle, pulling her hood around her.

“We can stop for a while if you'd prefer it...” Vilkas mumbled. Maris composed herself and sat up, though more wary of the shifting light.

“Did I hear a hint of care in your words, just now?” Maris scoffed in feigned surprise.

“Not in your life blood sucker.” Vilkas snarled.

        The sun had dimmed to the point where Maris could rid herself of her cumbersome cloaks. They had gone off the road to find a suitable place to set up camp. Maris slipped out of Shadowmere saddle and stretched. They had found a spot beside a waterfall to rest. While Vilkas busied himself with collecting fire wood, Maris tended to the horses. She took off their saddles and tethered Vilkas' horse close enough to the stream to drink if It wanted. Shadowmere, she left to wander were she pleased. Honestly, Maris had found the journey so far much more draining then she had anticipated. It seemed like the energy she had acquired from feeding had been sapped from her. It was having to be around Vilkas. It just exhausted her. She plodded herself down by the stream. The water seemed to shine more as the moon rose. She could feel her eyes begin to grow heavy as she watched it ripple and shift.

        Vilkas looked up from his book and glanced at Maris. How could someone possibly fall asleep in the mud? He sighed and gazed into the fire. He thought he should get some kind of sleep but when he slept, he dreamed and when he dreamed, all he saw was Sovngarde. It was so tantalizingly close. He looked back to Maris. She actually was quite beautiful when she was sleeping. A lock of her pure white hair was in her face and swayed gently as she breathed. Despite himself, he found himself smiling slightly. She seemed so innocent and pure. Vilkas went to brush the hair from her face, paused, then proceeded. As he tucked it behind her slightly pointed ear, his knuckles brushed her cheek. She was cold, ice cold. He knew that's how vampires were suppose to be but a hint of concern rose within him. He shook himself out of it. This was Maris he was talking about, the girl who massacred 120 bandits on her own without taking one hit... Not that he would care either way. He sighed and went back to his book.

        Maris' eyes snapped open. She found herself staring directly into a roaring fire. She yelped and scrambled backwards. Vilkas' eyes shot up from his book.

“Maris?!” He exclaimed, shooting to his feet. Maris' eyes darted around the camp but slowed when she came to realize that it was just a camp-fire. She covered her hand with her mouth and turned away, pulling herself into a ball.

“Maris, are you all right?” Vilkas asked.

“I'm fine.” She hissed.

“But you...” Vilkas began to say but was cut off by Maris.

“I said I’m fine!” She yelled harshly, her eyes snapping to meet vilkas'. The bushes around them rustled as the animals were woken.

“I... I just don't like fire...” she whimpered looking down. The forest fell to silence. Maris turned her back to the fire and pulled her knees up to her chest. She scowled off into the distance. “But don't for a second think that I’m afraid or anything.” She added. Vilkas rolled his eyes and went to sit beside her, though he was facing the fire. Maris didn't look at him, just scowled blankly at the water.

“It's okay to be afraid you know, especially for a Snow-back like you.” He said plainly. Maris redirected her scowl towards Vilkas.

“Are you trying to comfort me?” She asked.

“All i'm saying is that, everyone has at least one fear.” Vilkas shrugged.

“Well, I don't.” Maris hissed.

“Then go and sit by the fire.” Vilkas suggested.

“No. I'm a vampire, I don't like heat.” She muttered, looking away again.

“Point proven.” Vilkas smirked, leaning back triumphantly.

“Okay... Maybe... If I was afraid of something, which I’m not, then there is a marginal chance that that thing could possibly be fire.” Maris mumbled coldly.

“If you don't mind me asking... Why fire?” Vilkas asked.

“I don't know myself... Something must have happened... I just can't remember it. I don't really remember much.” She sighed.

“What do you mean you don't remember much?” Vilkas questioned, raising an eyebrow.

“Since I woke up as a vampire, my memory is clouded.” She said simply. Vilkas stared into the fire for a moment.

“So... You don't remember why I wear my war paint this way?” He eventually asked.

“Should I?” Maris asked, looking up at him questionably. He stared into her blank eyes for a moment before standing up.

        “I'm going to sleep.” He muttered. Maris brushed her hair out of her face and watched him as he laid down by the fire... What was his deal? Maris stood and went over to the nearest tree. She scrambled up into the lower branches and disappeared in the foliage.

Vilkas opened one eye. She had completely disappeared among the leaves.

“What in Hircine's name are you doing?” He growled.

“Going to sleep.” Came the muffled reply, though he couldn’t pinpoint its location. It seemed to come from everywhere.

“Up a tree? Only children climb trees.” Vilkas sneered, closing his eye again. Suddenly, a pine cone dropped from the tree and landed on his forehead. Vilkas let out a yelp and sat up, rubbing his head.

“Oops, did that hit you?” Maris hissed sarcastically.

“Like, I said. Childish!” Vilkas snarled, laying back down and turning to face the fire. This was going to be a long trip...