Chapter 43: Shadow of Naginata Blades

"Since when." Saito said between gritted teeth, he glared endlessly at his sister between his arms.

Yun Ren Xie can feel her cold sweat on her forehead as she look back to her brother. He was really scary, dark fathomless pair of eyes were eyeing at her dangerously.

'System Warning, third male lead's anger percentage have reached to 78%. Fifth Immortal Soul should cease Saito's anger in order to maintain a better brother and sister relationship with him.' Baoshi once more warned her host.

'If it reached a higher percentage?' Yun Ren Xie asked, although she was an expert in escaping dangerous plots in life, the halo and aura of a male lead is far different from the real world. It can make a person freeze or even shrink back due to fear. Right now, Yun Ren Xie is beeing stuck between Saito's arms while leaning back at the wooden screen. She is paralyzed due to the pressure he is emitting.

'Host should start praying to Buddha, worst effect is Saito's view towards host is not a sister anymore. In short, you triggered his emotions and the effect is barely moral. A sibling loving its sibling is not a good sign, also, it will be an obstacle in finishing the second mission.'

Yun Ren Xie was shock to know the fruit of provoking a male lead. She bit her lower lip and kept looking downwards.

"Soma Katsu, tell me honestly. Since when have you been seeing Souji outside? Have I not reminded you last time about etiquettes? Do you want to be labeled as a loose woman?" within his emotionless voice, a mix of anger can be heard. Saito wanted to give his friend a beating when he saw Souji with Soma however, he must not do it in front of his sister. He dont want Soma to be fearful of him but right now, what is he doing? Is Soma afraid of him? Saito cant see her expression since she is staring at the cold floor.

Yun Ren Xie showed a very pitiful appearance, meeting Saito's deadly gaze bravely and without a word, she embraced Saito as she clung on his neck. Crying silently but her sobs can be heard even though she buried her head on Saito's shoulder.

"Im sorry! Oniisan, please dont hate Soma! Soma knows her mistake! Dont abandon me! I wont see Souji no more, I will take your advices to heart, I will mind my etiquettes! Sorry! Big brother.... *sob." Yun Ren Xie said, she knew the loving brother Saito will emerge from this beast in front of her. Half of what she said were from the original Soma after being lost inside the bamboo forest.

Just as she finished speaking, Saito's grim intent vanished. He stood there motionlessly and only Soma's miserable sobs can be heard.

Rain poured generously as it signifies Soma's hurt feeling, seeing her brother looking at her with fear. She glanced at her hands, the tenebrific deep red blood stayed on her palm. She then shot a gander at the dead wild beast and her lifeless aunt. It was her.

Soma did it, she killed them. In order to live, she pushed her aunt Tori as a body shield. For the fear of being eaten alive, she used the naginata to create a heavy wound at the beast. It was a miracle for her to survive however, a deep scar was placed in her heart. The fear of blood and death invaded her thought.

Saito watched his sister gander at herself with wide eyes, full of fear. He unconsciously stepped back when a thunder nestled through the dark sky. Soma saw Saito's small action which worries her heart the most. She thought Saito have seen her earlier move that caused Tori's demise.

"Im sorry! Oniisan, please dont hate Soma! Soma knows her mistake! Please dont abandon me!" she rushed at him, even falling back at the damped soil, earning lots of bruises on her porcelain skin. This did not stop her and struggled to get up to hold onto her brother.

She repeatedly said it after embracing Saito and clinging on his neck. He pitied his sister for being like this. Witnessing death at the young age and striving to live, he promised himself, saying he'd protect his family.

"Brother wont hate you. Soma, you are brave. Dont cry anymore. I promise when I grow up, I'll protect you, mother, father and even big brother!" he coaxed and hugged his crying sister.

Saito woke up from his daze, the memories of his childhood are still visible, especially this one. He oathed, protect his family. Yes he became a unit captain which is benificial but 'protecting' Soma from the outside world, is it enough? Even he himself can make her fear him, beg him, cry to him. Is this not like breaking the fragile treasure you have hidden away from everyone but it is also you who caused its demise?

He have to stop! Stop giving false hope to himself! Stop destroying their sibling bond! Stop from being greedy!

Yun Ren Xie felt her brother's gentle hand, slowly caressing her head, even embracing her. The plan have worked, Saito's anger have cooled down.

"I...... Brother w-wont hate you. Dont cry anymore. Im sorry, Soma." he said, closing his eyes with force as he pull Soma closer to him. He held her tightly, seemingly Soma will disperse if ever he let go.

After a while, Yun Ren Xie have slept due to her tiredness from excessive crying. Saito can only lay his sister on her bed then sat beside her. His lips were pressed together while controlling over his desire. "Soma, I think..... I've liken you." he said, howbeit 'like' is not the word for his newfound feelings. Saito knew its more deeper but he cant just understand.

He stepped outside Soma's room when he saw Ishi, holding a bag of kyoho on her hand while trembling in fear. "Is that....."

"Y-young master Saito...... Miss Soma b-bought this for you." Ishi stammered but supressed her anxious feeling. She handed the kyoho at her master with a shaking hand.

Saito gave an apologetic look at Ishi, even she is scared at how he acted previously. "Mister Souji i-is at the backyard, requesting young m-master's presence...."

Upon hearing the opponents name, his earlier calm posture broke. If Yun Ren Xie were to expect the third and fourth male lead's cold aura show down, she expected Saito to win since even in the real history, Souji is said to fear Saito's swordsmanship.