eighteen

Ella's POV- December 2019

As much as I wanted to skate, I had to prep for my final exams. Theo and I agreed to meet and just skate for a bit. I needed to talk to him, and see where his mindset was. If he no longer wanted to skate, there was really nothing I could do but accept it.

We were originally going to ride together, but he called last minute and told me he'd meet me there. I got there, stretched, and then set up the equipment before putting on my skates. Theo still wasn't there, so I gave him a call.

"Hello"

"Hey, where are you?" I asked.

"I'm walking to Karen's"

Her place was on the other side of town.

"So you're not coming?" I questioned.

"Ella, you should look for a new partner"

He wasn't even going to do this in person?

"I just think I should focus on school"

And his girlfriend...

"We both know skating didn't lead to your grades dropping since you only showed up to like 3 practices this past semester" I noted.

"You're allowed to be mad"

Oh, I wasn't mad.

"I'm not mad, I'm disappointed, hurt, but honestly not surprised," I admitted.

This was inevitable.

"I'm used to being let down by you," I told him.

I took a deep breath.

"But if that's what you want, what can I do about it," I said.

My phone chimed, so I put the call on speaker so I could read the text.

Hey, I'm here.

"You can find a ride to the airport, I'll go home tomorrow," I told him before ending the call.

Just as I was about to reply to the text, someone spoke.

"There you are"

I turned to see Lorenzo making his way over, his duffle bag slung over one of his shoulders. The smile on Lorenzo's face fell when he noticed I was on the verge of a breakdown.

"You okay?"

"Not really" I admitted.

"Do you mind if I hug you? You look like you could use one"

I nodded and accepted his hug.

"I'm Enzo, by the way"

I laughed against his chest.

"Ella" I replied.

I scrunched up my nose when I saw I left snot on his scarf, and he noticed.

"It's alright, nothing a washing machine won't fix"

He shrugged and handed me a tissue packet.

"Thank you," I said.

As I wiped my nose, my phone started ringing. Gavin knew that I was skating today, so a call from him was surprising.

"Hello," I greeted.

"Hey, by any chance are you with your brother?"

"No, why?" I wondered.

"He just announced his retirement on IG"

Of course, he did.

"Hold up," I told him.