Childhood Lovers. 24

Walking into the room, I didn’t have an idea where to even begin. Raging with anger, Carmen marched up to me.

“Why would you go after her like that? I thought you were on my side,” she sneered.

I put my hands up, defensively. “Whoa, when did this turn into World War III, with the allies and axis?”

“That’s not the point. You’re my best friend . . . you’re supposed to support me.

“So, I’m supposed to support my best friend, even when she’s being an inconsiderate, cold-hearted bitch? I don’t know about you, but that doesn’t sound right to me,”  I said, with a dose of sarcasm.

“I’m not the bitch,” she growled. “She is!”

“Actually you’re wrong, Carmen. You see, Jessica has been trying her hardest to be a better person. And if I recall, she hasn’t personally victimized in quite a while,” I replied.

“Well she did something to you,” Carmen muttered. “And when someone hurts my friend, it’s almost like hurting me.”

While in theory Carmen was being a good friend, there is a fine line, one that she crossed. You can support, side and remain loyal to a friend, but only to a certain extend. If this had happened a few weeks ago, before Jessica had apologized, then Carmen would be justified. However, present day, that was not the case.

“I know you had good intentions, but things have been put in the past. Things have changed, and people like Jessica are trying to change. Holding grudges, for personal or outside reasons, is never a good way to live in the present and future.”

Dolefully, Carmen stared at the ground, and meekly said, “I probably should go apologize.”

Giving her a pat on the shoulder, I sent her off to take responsibility of her actions.

After she left, Tyler said, “Well today has just been full of surprises.”

“You can say that again,” I muttered, collapsing onto the bed in exhaustion Chase sat beside me, stroking my hair. 

“You did the right thing,” Chase whispered in my ear. “It was really noble of you to calm Jessica down when nobody else wanted to.” 

My response was a mere shrug. Desperately, I needed a hug. Completely forgetting that we weren’t alone, I wrapped my arms around Chase. He provided me with that same, old, safe and secure feeling. 

Uncomfortably, Tyler cleared his voice, reminding us of his presence. Chase and I broke the embrace, and we all exchanged glances. There was denying the air of awkwardness. Without Carmen, the three of thrown back into the mess we were in a few days ago; Tyler on the outs of my relationship with Chase.

As happy as I was for the new couple, I doubted the legitimacy of their feelings. Just days before, Tyler was fawning over me. Just hours before, Carmen was convinced Tyler was a full-on player with no heart. I felt as though the two of them were moving quickly, as their emotions struggled to keep speed.

But who was I to judge their relationship? All that matter was they were happy together, right?

“I think I’m going to go find Carmen,” Tyler said, obviously uncomfortable with being the third wheel. Not surprised, I watched him exit the room and head down the hallway.

After he left, Chase said, “So, how do you think things are going?” 

“I don’t know,” I replied. Leaning back, I felt myself flopped back onto the bed, resting my head on the unfamiliar pillow. “Pretty good, I guess.”