Childhood Lovers. 14

• Dedicated to those fighting cancer. get well soon!

As always, the hospital was a drag. While I was getting stitched up, Chase filled out the papers and called our parents to let them know what happened.

"How do you feel?" Chase asked, after my arm was repaired.

"Just spiffy," I said, sarcastically. I tugged at the bandage tightly wrapped around my arm.

"Superb," he said. "Let's get out of here." Slowly, I got out of the white sheet bed and wobbled along.

When we entered the waiting room, Chase handed the nurse the clipboard with the necessary files.

"Thanks, Mr. Levine," the nurse said. "How's your father doing?"

"My father?" Chase asked, confused.

"Yeah, he was just in today, for some tests. I hope he's feeling better," she said, unaware of the misconception.

"Oh, yeah," Chase said. His eyes narrowed, while his jaw clenched. After we left, I got the sense that Chase didn't want to talk. He was obviously baffled and thrown off by what the nurse said.

Actually, I didn't mind the silence in the car ride home. It gave me time to just to swim in my pool of thoughts and memories. And, there's something special about our relationship, that Chase and I didn't need words, didn't need to talk. Sometimes, people feel awkward when a conversation isn't flowing. But, that wasn't the case. No need for words, our minds and souls communicated.

By the time we got home, the pain killers began to wear off. Silently, Chase handed me the prescription the doctor gave me. I went into the kitchen, greeted by my panicking parents.

"Hayden! God, you've had us worried! Are you okay? What happened?"

"I'm fine," I said, grabbing a water bottle and swallowing my pills. "It's just a scratch, a few stitches. I'll be fine."

Chase stomped into the kitchen, and slammed his backpack on the floor.

"So, when were you guys going to tell me about Dad? Or were you just going to hide it from me?" There was anger and pain mixed in his voice. A different kind of pain and hurt, than I had caused him.

"Oh, no," Rebecca cried. She ran over to him, and petted his hair. "Baby, we were going to tell you, but we needed to find the right time."

He pushed her off. "Sooner rather than later? What would have been the right time? When he was in his death bed? I can't believe you guys would lie to me like this."

"Chase," John's voice bellowed. "I know you're angry, but let's go for a walk and talk about it."

Chase looked at the ground, as John slipped an arm around his shoulders. They walked out the back door.

"Mom, Rebecca?" My voice sounded younger and more innocent, as if I was a young, scared child. "What's going on?"

Rebecca indicted that I should sit on the counter stool. "Sweetie, John's sick. You see, he's been feeling under the weather for quite a while now. And, his family has had a past with cancer. So, we've been running some tests lately, and the results keep coming back positive."

My stomach dropped. Uncle John? Young, energetic, healthy, funny Uncle John was sick? My head started spinning. No, no, it couldn't be. He couldn't have cancer, it wasn't possible. "What . . . kind of cancer?"

"Kidney. It hasn't started spreading, but it's getting close. He's going to go under treatment soon, to prevent spreading and hopefully destroy the cancer."

"So, he's going to be okay, right?" I asked, trying to be optimistic and looking for some hope.

"It's too soon to tell yet," Rebecca said softly, tears streaming out of her eyes. My mother placed a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"I need to go outside for a bit, get some fresh air and clear my head," I said. Slowly, I hopped down from my chair, and headed out to the back porch. Spreading myself onto the lounge couch, I rested my head on my hands and elevated my feet.

I wished that these tests were wrong, that some error had occurred, but I knew that wasn't likely. I wished that Uncle John would fight and recover quickly, but I knew that wasn't likely either.

Uncle John didn't deserve this. He was the greatest man, husband, father, and friend. He always did the right thing, showed unmeasured kindness, and went out of his way to make anyone feel better.

Not to mention, I regretted not spending more time with him. Spending almost a month here, I didn't even think to hang out with him. I had to change that, God only knows how much time we had left before he . . .

After soaking in my thoughts, Chase and John walked up. Chase looked upset, his cheeks were flushed and his lips were curled into a scowl. John patted Chase on the back, before heading inside. I sat up, pulled my knees to my chest. Chase slumped over and sat on the couch. He stared at the ground.

"Hey, come here." I wrapped my arms around him, pulling him into a tender hug. He buried his face into my chest. We sat there, hugging for a while. Once again, we didn't need words. We just needed to hold each other.

"I don't know what's going to happen. I'm scared, Hayden." I put my finger to his lips, showing him that he didn't need to speak because I understood.

"You're going to be okay, he's going to be okay. We'll get through this," I whispered, still holding onto him. "Now, it's my turn to take care of you."

-----------

sorry guys, ive been overwhelmed cuz my shows this weekend and i have so much homework and rehearsal are killing me! please vote and comment, and i really want more tweets so make sure to do that if you have a twitter! thanks everyone!