Childhood Lovers. 25

if you did not read the addition made to chapter 24, go back and read it first! thank you! also the music video goes towards the end of the chapter, not the overall mood! 

------------

Unfortunately, we had to leave our peaceful paradise and return the jet skis. However, escaping from the world, if only for a few hours, with the person I love was absolutely priceless. 

After the jet skis were under Willy’s possessions, we strolled back to the house. The transformation was astonishing – so remarkable that I actually thought my eyes were playing a trick on me. Aside from the off balanced level of the foundation, everything was organized and refurbished. Broken furniture was removed, and every undamaged item was back in its proper place. 

“See,” Rebecca said when she saw us, as she swept the kitchen floor. “We could do it without you guys. All you needs is some elbow grease and determination.”

“I’m very impressed,” Chase said, kissing his mother on the cheek.

“Tomorrow, we shop till we drop!” Rebecca exclaimed, obviously excited at the idea of new, state of the art items replacing the old, out-dated, broken furniture.

“Actually, I was thinking we could go visit Dad tomorrow,” Chase said, earnestly. 

Rebecca and I raised our eyebrows in utter shock. “Really?”

“Well yeah, after talking to him last night, I realized that I really want to see him,” Chase explained. “I’m ready.”

“Okay, I’m sure we can schedule a visit,” Rebecca said, trying her best to hide the huge smile that was located on her beaming face.

“Great,” he said, heading down the hallway. 

When his back was turned, the two of us instantly made eye connection. Rebecca no longer forced her smile away, as it contagiously spread onto me.

“Can you believe it?” She whispered.

“I know,” I whispered back, through a toothy grin. Relief and pride washed over me – Chase was finally ready to put on his big-boy pants and face the ugly truth.

“John’s going to be so happy to finally see him,” Rebecca said, a little louder than a whisper.

“I leave the room for one minute, and I come back to find you two talking about me,” Chase remarked, on the joking side. Tucked under his arm was a beach towel, and in his right hand was the picnic basket we used on the last date.

“Sorry,” we both muttered in unison.

I watched Chase rummaged through the kitchen, as he selected a variety of dining essentials – plates, utensils, and glasses. After whispering in Chase’s ear, Rebecca winked at me and exited the room.

“Why don’t you get dressed into something warmer?” Chase suggested. I raised a suspicious eyebrow at him, but followed his advice.

In my bedroom, I traded in my damp bathing suit for warm cotton undergarments. I put on some black yoga pants and pulled a warm, fuzzy sweatshirt over my head. After brushing my salty hair, I twisted it into a loose braid.

“Ready Freddie?” Chase asked when I re-entered the kitchen.

“Sure thing,” I shrugged.

Taking our usual route - out the back door, through the porch, down the stairs – we found a comfortable spot on the shore, with a perfect view of the sunset. Spreading the towel out across the cool sand, we sat down. Chase piled some salad onto a china plate, and handed it to me.