Childhood Lovers. 27

Cold, grey, uncomfortable, foreign, haunting, lifeless.

Those words perfectly represented the aurora of John's treatment room. The walls were bland, empty, and suffocating to the human eye. There was one, small, bare window to the left of the room. An outdated television hung in the high corner of the room. A monitor, a white-sheeted hospital bed, and a few crummy chairs inhabited the rest of the room.

On the white, twin-sized bed laid John's shriveled up body. His complexion was pale and ghastly, matching the color of the walls. Dark circles bordered his sunken closed eyes, dry skin and wrinkles creased around his brows and lips. His remaining hair was grey, brittle, and untamed. Wires and machines were hooked up to his feeble face, hands, arms, and chest. Appearing to lose a dramatic amount of weight, he looked weak and fragile.

I looked up at Chase, whose face was twisting and contorting in pain of the horrendous sight. The only thing I could to do ease his pain was place a compassionate hand on his shoulder.

Rebecca and Chase, being immediate family, had first priority to greet him. Rebecca kissed his cold, wrinkled forehead, which caused John to open his tired, weary eyes. Chase sat down next to the bed.

"Hi Dad," Chase whispered, lightly squeezing his father's bony hand.

"Hey son." John's voice matched his appearance.

Just the sound of his father's battered and scratchy voice caused Chase to double over, sobbing into the edge of the bed. John slowly draped his fragile arm around his son's trembling shoulders. We all stood in silence as we watched the ultimate connecting moment; a son crying in the embrace of his sick father.

After a good, long cry, Chase sat up and rubbed his face.

"I'm fine," Chase muttered. Rebecca rustled his blond hair with her fingers. "I just need some water. I'll be right back."

After his departure, my family moved forward towards John, but still a few steps behind Rebecca.

"He looks good," John croaked.

"You can thank her for that," Rebecca turned and indicated to me. "I haven't seen him this lively in months."

John sent me a nod of gratitude. "Well I'm glad you've been able to pick up his spirits. After today, he's going to need you more than ever." 

I crinkled my eyes in confusion. Why would today have a negative effect on Chase? It was supposed to help him. "I'm sorry, I don't understand."

My parents wandered to Rebecca's side, which left me standing alone.

"Honey, could you go get Chase?" Rebecca asked in a sweet yet forced tone, as if nothing was wrong. But I knew better. Something was definitely going on here, something strange.

Suspiciously, I did as she asked and searched the hallway for Chase. Fully recovered from his earlier break down, Chase was loitering near a vending machine, enthusiastically chatting away on the phone.

Strolling up behind him, I tried to pick up on as much as I could of his side of the conversation.

"Yeah . . . totally, that'd be chill . . . no I think it'd be really fun . . . yeah, I'll spread the word . . . yeah uh-huh . . . yeah I'll bring her . . . sounds good, see you later."

Unaware of my presence, Chase quickly turned around and bumped into me. I fell hard onto the cold, tiled floor.

"Oh, sorry Ace!" He apologized, pulling me back up to my feet. "I've got great news."

Ironic, I thought. He's got great news while his parents potentially had bad news.

"My friend, Nick, is throwing a 'going-away' party tonight because he's leaving for college next week. It sounds like fun, and I think we should really go. I think it'll be fun, actually going to a party as a couple, unlike last time. So what do you say, are you in?"