Chapter Forty-One

—Outskirts of Kiverryn—

Three days and not a word spoken between them. Not a 'good morning,' a 'you hungry,' or even a 'can we talk?' Not a single word or utterance, but Lulu would not be persuaded. She would not be guilted into apologizing for what she had said. The words were all true. Every last one. Yet, that silence was much easier to maintain with others around them. At the end of the third day, however, they were alone by the campfire, both pointedly avoiding the other's gaze.

In the end, Duncan, Isaac, and D'rundri had followed them from Kiverryn, all the rest having other places they needed to be.

Lord Brandon had taken his men and returned to his manor, where he would inform the remaining nobility of the tragedy that had taken the capital and their king. Teressa had gone with him, not even bothering to offer the slightest farewell to Lulu. Not that it bothered her. Teressa had been just a fling. Nothing more. She didn't care if Teressa never thought about her again. It certainly wouldn't keep her up at night. The Voice and her dad had joined them as well, the former promising to help Iskendryn figure out the path forward in the coming weeks.

That suited her just fine. It meant she wouldn't have to suffer another day with The Voice within earshot. Lord Brandon had offered a quiet farewell, a stern brow, and a bow of his head, but nothing more. Even her father, when he gathered her in his arms, had seemed to do so only half-heartedly. His whispered words to mend things with Ori ended the awkward hug abruptly, as Lulu wrenched herself free and turned her back. She didn't even say goodbye to him.

Lulu had stood at the open gates of Kiverryn, the silence of the city ringing loudly behind her. It would stand here, a shell, empty and devoid of all life until the remaining nobles and the Path of Light figured out what to do with it. Better to burn it, she thought. There was nothing good left of this place.

She stood there, waiting for Idelle and the others to join her as they said their farewells to Ori. Lulu wouldn't even look at her. It was some time before Idelle finally fell into step beside her, a hard, sullen glare urging her to turn back and say something to Ori, but Lulu ignored it, choosing instead to walk forward without another moment's hesitation.

And, thus, the long silence had begun.

Three days they had traveled, and now they were back where they had started their journey. They were near the burned down remnants of Shira and Tandabu's home, the pair and their child finding shelter with Lord Brandon for the foreseeable future. All was silent when they approached. They would be safe for the night. And, so, they made camp. Duncan and Isaac had fallen asleep quickly, the former holding the latter in his arms, back pressed against a thick tree, sylph on his opposite shoulder. D'rundri had gone to fetch more firewood, leaving the pair of friends alone with nothing to distract or delay them any longer.

She felt the weight of her gaze long before she lifted her head. Idelle stared at her from across the flames, her violet eyes burning in the firelight. Hands gathered together beneath her chin, she said everything on her mind without uttering a single sound. Lulu hated her a bit for that. Her eyes lowered, choosing to watch the flames dance instead. She could never take back the words she said anyway. What was the point in wallowing over them?

"I loved him," Lulu found herself speaking without meaning to. She cursed herself internally, but the damage was done. "Not romantically I mean. He had a dick, after all. But, I..."

"I know," Idelle breached the silence as well, leaving them on equal footing.

"You understand why she's to blame, right? Why it's all her fault?"