Chapter Ten

— Todmorhen, Avarra, Andavaran —

Her back ached. Dirt and mud had crusted beneath broken fingernails, blisters forming between her thumbs and index fingers from where she had held the shovel. Her clothes were rumpled and torn in a few places. Her hands were sore, and she was beginning to get a headache from being so dehydrated. But, even through the discomfort and the disheveled state she was in, there was still a bright smile on her face.

Ori took a long drink from her canteen, admiring the sun as it began to set in the distance. The array of colors cast across the sky was breathtaking in their splendor, creating a backdrop that could chase away any stresses of the day. She stood there, alone at the edge of the village, listening to the excited chatter of those gathered a short distance away. Hearing their laughter made the scene all the more beautiful to her. The people of Todmorhen deserved this moment of victory.

A small village near the central plains of Avarra, Todmorhen didn't have much. Nothing came easily here. The people were tough from a life spent fighting for every meal and moment of peace, but they were also unfailingly kind. They knew the harsh realities of the world and opened their arms to travelers when they happened across their borders.

Ori had found them quite by accident. She had gotten lost once on her way south and happened upon the small, warm village in the dead of night. They had taken her in, gave her food, shelter, and directions the next day. Her journey south was delayed, however, remaining in Todmorhen long enough to help rebuild the forge that had burned down. She had come to know the villagers well in that time, and, ever since, she made certain to stop in and help when she could.

This time, she had helped dig them a new well. Their old one had run dry and they had been bordering on desperation when she arrived. She had used her magic to sense the water but helped to dig the well by hand.

A good, honest day's work. Her father would be proud.

"Mistress Orianna?" a voice made her turn.

A man stood beside her, dressed in the finest armor money could buy, the royal crest of Avarra displayed proudly across his breastplate. Even had he approached her without the glinting armor, she would have been able to spot his royal upbringing in the very air about him. He stood like a man born to wear a crown, confident, expectant, and firmly distanced from his surroundings.

He was shorter than her father, but not by much, his hair a dark blonde that was not overly long but slicked back in a perfectly controlled manner. Green eyes watched her movements with an air of authority, his posture regal, and his expression masked. He was doing his best to hide his identity, unaware that everything he had already done confirmed her suspicions.

"How can I help you, Crown Prince Alistair?" she asked, offering the expected bow with all the sincerity and respect his station demanded. When she looked up, she could see she had taken him by surprise.

"How did you know? I have no escort. I could simply be a royal courier."

Her laughter rang out clearly in the twilight, ending in a quiet snort that had the prince frowning. Ori waved her hand, doing her best to school her features.

"No disrespect, Your Highness. Truly, none intended. But...have you looked at yourself?" At her question, he peered downward. "That armor costs more than a courier would make in his entire life. Actually, it might cost more than the courier and his twelve grandchildren would make in their lives combined. There is no mistaking Crown Prince Alistair of The United Kingdoms of Avarra and Belanen, Your Highness."

Prince Alistair cleared his throat and straightened his shoulders as he pushed the discomfort of their first meeting behind him. "Mistress Orianna, I come on behalf of the king and queen to request your assistance in a private matter to the crown."

"Oh?" Her brow raised in surprise over golden-flecked blue eyes. "And, why, exactly, do you require my assistance?"

It was his turn to look at her in amusement. "Do you perceive yourself to be a simple wandering vagrant, mistress?"

"What else would I be?"

"The Savior." His gaze was serious as he looked her in the eye. What remained of Ori's smile disappeared completely, her body turning so she could face him fully. "I've been tracking you for awhile, and every place I've visited has had the same things to say about you. The Creator smiles on you, takes you where you are needed. You travel in the company of the Creator's disciples. One of His Silencers has been seen, often, in your company. You've performed miracles, quieting ancient relics, saved countless faithful. The people call you the Savior, and I've seen nothing to say the contrary."

Ori took a breath to settle her nerves, lowering the canteen to her side and choosing her words carefully before she spoke. "I'm not the Savior. Whatever you've seen, whatever you've heard, I'm not a chosen one. What I've done, what I've always tried to do, is help people. Nothing more. Now, if you're here because you think I'm the Savior and can perform a miracle or two for you, our business is concluded, and you can be on your way. If, however, you have a legitimate concern that involves actual people or things, then I'm willing to listen."

His expression never changed, but Ori could see a spark of humor in his emerald eyes. "You are not what I imagined, Mistress Orianna. I assure you, the matter is very real. There are lives at stake, even that of the kingdom itself. You came recommended by The Voice himself as the best tracker and nullifier of dark and ancient relics. We believe there is one in the hands of a powerful sorceress. She's already used it to topple one kingdom, and we believe she intends to invade Avarra and Belanen next."

"What's the artifact?"

"We're not certain, but we believe it's the staff she wields. From our reports, it's black with a blade at one end made of an unknown shimmering green metal. At the other end, four sharp points surround a dark crystal that's given her an ungodly control over the elements."

Ori shook her head. "I won't know without seeing it for myself, but that sounds like the Staff of Taerynas."

"Is that bad?"

"Whatever it was that brought you here, I'm nearly positive that it was only a fraction of that staff's capability. I'd like you to take me to wherever she used it."

"That would be difficult."

"Why?"

"Because she demolished several towns in the kingdom of Carmeliard, which is now under the crown of Iskendryn. It's deep within enemy territory. I won't be able to provide an escort there."

With a flick of her wrist, Ori conjured a swirling vortex that roared quietly with power. "It's a good thing I don't need an escort. Care to come with me? We'll be back before dawn."

His eyes were wide as he watched the distorted edges of light along the portal's outer rim. "You can travel anywhere with that? Can you reach other worlds?"

"Yes. Does that frighten you, Your Majesty?"

He answered with a nod of his head. "I might've peed a little."

"Don't worry, Your Majesty. I'll hold your hand."