Chapter Fifteen

— Storm's End, Western Influence, Alfheim —

The home of the light elves was the birthplace of the first empire. Known as Vandalar, light elves and dwarves had pushed out into the stars, using their magic to forge pathways to other worlds. Their empire had been even larger than Ishara. It was said to have been a wonder, but then a beast had come, a powerful, angry beast that had ripped down the glory stretched out through the stars. Alfheim had remained in isolation for millennia until Valdornne finally found them. Only with the emergence of the Last Queen Mother, Teryn Ralia, during the Thieves' Rebellion over twenty years ago, had Alfheim reclaimed a portion of their former prosperity.

For many years, her aunt had fretted over leaving Alfheim behind. Though she was happy to leave her crown and retire to a corner of a world with her family, Idelle knew her aunt cared deeply about the people and the friends that had helped her forge a better future for Alfheim. Only when Idelle, Lulu, and Ori had begun traveling out amongst the stars had her aunt, finally, been put at ease. Alfheim had prospered when Ishara broke apart. The foundation her aunt had built turned into a thriving, wonderful thing that the people still thanked her for to this day.

"I still don't understand why we couldn't travel by horse," Duncan frowned as they made their way along one of Alfheim's main roads. They had passed several carriages and horses, each one making the large man grumble unhappily.

Lulu rolled her eyes, and Idelle smiled. She understood the complaint. They had been walking for several days. The veil they had used was in the southern portion of the Western Influence, and as such, it would have been much easier to rent horses, or even to travel by carriage to the stronghold. But it didn't matter where they traveled, how far the distance. They never traveled by horse, and it would always remain so. Idelle had gotten used to walking everywhere. It was soothing now, knowing they would walk as far as their legs could carry them in a day, and then, rest wherever they ended up. The others, however, were understandably not used to that yet.

"I already explained it," Lulu said.

"Yes. Horses are evil," Duncan scowled. "I don't know how to respond to that."

"Evil, as in from the hells below, or as in one bit you once?" Isaac asked, trailing behind the rest of them. Sweat dripped from his brow. Of the five of them, he seemed far less suited to this kind of travel.

At his question, Lulu's frown deepened, arms crossing over her chest. "They're from the hells."

"One bit her once," Idelle clarified.

"Hey!" Lulu shouted. "We're the only ladies in the group. Show some vaginal solidarity."

"I don't know what that is, and I don't want to."

"What is it you hope to discover here?" D'rundri asked, breaking off Lulu's attempt at an explanation. Their newest companion had been quiet since they set off from their camp in Svartalfheim, speaking only when addressed directly, and even then, his answers were brief. He spoke little of the Common Tongue, but he seemed to slowly be picking up bits and pieces.

"What does Grimmy-Dark-Tongue say?" Lulu asked, but Idelle ignored her, answering D'rundri instead.

"We're headed to Storm's End. It's the ancestral Ralia home. It's one of the cosmic points we need to sync to the compass."

"To find this mythical Garden of Starlight?" D'rundri glanced over at her, sidestepping around a deep puddle on the edge of the road.