Chapter Twenty-Nine

—Lower Town, Kiverryn—

"It's fucking weird, and I don't like it."

Lulu's nose wrinkled so far it looked like it would disappear into her wide, disgusted, and distrustful eyes. Idelle only smiled gently in response, turning her head to gaze at the small creature sitting upon her right shoulder. Small, stunted feet kicked happily as a bobbing head made stark pink pigtails sway about tiny shoulders. In the little hands, the creature grasped a wedge of cheese as large as its head, stormy grey eyes watching Lulu in return as it munched happily.

"It's a baby sylph, Lulu. She's not going to hurt you," Idelle offered when Lulu began to circle her, all the while keeping her eyes glued to the creature. When Lulu proceeded to stand at her back, the baby sylph turned her head all the way around to look at her. Lulu screamed and jumped away. Idelle could only laugh, turning to face her friend once more.

"What the fuck?! Why can it do that?!! Get it off! It's going to start munching on your neck next!"

Sensing her friend's fright, the sylph quickly finished the rest of the cheese and hopped to its feet, smiling a wide, sharp-toothed grin.

"Throw it on the ground. I'll squish it with my shoe!"

"I will do no such thing," Idelle laughed as the sylph transferred its tiny self to the top of her head, nestling between the braided ridges. "I found her all alone in one of the burned-out houses. She can't even fly right. One wing is badly damaged."

"Makes it easier to squish."

"You touch her, and you'll regret it."

Lulu held up her hands in surrender. "Long as she stays on your head, fine. That thing touches me, and..."

Hearing the words, the baby sylph lifted into the air, its path to Lulu tilted as it struggled to fly the short distance. But it found its mark and perched happily on Lulu's head. Her friend immediately stilled. Her eyes bulged as she tried to figure out how best to proceed. But the sylph seemed unconcerned with her transport's fright and settled into the mahogany hair.

"Sylph's can't speak, Lu. They communicate through silent gestures and emotions."

Lulu snorted, finally moving to cross her arms over her chest. "Oh great. So, it's just being a dick."

"You both should get along well, then."

"That hurts."

A whirling sound interrupted their exchange. Not far from where they stood, Ori sat with the few brave enough to seek help for the illness. The majority of people in Lower Town had retreated after Ori saved the young boy, still uncertain of whether or not they could trust this supposed savior. But there were a few who were either too sick to care, or had loved ones on the brink of death. The small group crowded around Ori, each eagerly awaiting their turn as, one-by-one, the poison was drawn from their bodies.

Lulu watched the swirling sludge. Each time it was removed from a person, the dark formless mass hung suspended in the air until Ori forced it toward the staff. A harsh whirling sound accompanied each removal, vibrating the very air. Lulu cringed each time.

The last person of the group was cured, the young woman flinging herself into her husband's arms. Grateful tears emerged, and Lulu turned away with a shake of her head.

"I don't like that she's using the staff," Lulu muttered.

"I know, but Ori understands magic better than anyone I've known. If she says she can handle it, she can handle it. We should trust her," Idelle shrugged gently. "Besides, this is hardly the first relic she's encountered. Give her a little credit."