Chapter Seven

— Rowdy Howdy Inn, Svartalfheim —

"Godsdamnit," Lulu cursed as she pushed open the door. "Why is it that every tavern we find has to be seedy, dark, and filled with gross, hands-y men you wouldn't want to touch with a thirty-foot pole?"

"Because you always pick the taverns we stop at?" Idelle answered in her ear.

"It was an entirely rhetorical question, Dell, but thank you so much for pointing out my flaws."

"That's what I'm here for."

Lulu grimaced at the soft mutterings from her friend. A quick side glance confirmed her suspicions. Idelle never said a word of complaint in their travels, not one. Whether traveling through veils, fighting bandits, fighting monsters, or just skirting the law because it was fun, Idelle was always at her side. It was easy for Lulu to forget how difficult parts of the journey were for her friend.

Navigating the veils was strenuous enough when it was a simple journey from A to B, but reaching Svartalfheim was no easy feat. It required a complex route of no less than seven veils taken in almost rapid succession, but that wasn't the end of it. They had a long, grueling walk through hostile territory to reach this tavern of semi-respectability. It wasn't the nicest place, but at least they were almost guaranteed to not be attacked by either the resistance fighters or by the imperial loyalists that were constantly feuding. Idelle's magic was likely running on empty. They hadn't paid the Black Gathering this time, relying completely on Idelle's power. She needed a warm place where she could relax, eat, and get a good night's rest.

So, Lulu apologized quietly and led her friend over to a table near the roaring fireplace in the back of the tavern. The two gentlemen sitting there looked up as they approached. "Move." The men made to argue but Lulu held up a hand to quiet them. "I would really reconsider how you're planning to speak to me and my friend here, because we've both had a really long day, and I'd rather not end it by cutting two dicks off and tossing them into the fire."

A moment of consideration, and the two men promptly vacated their seats. Lulu thanked them in her sweetest voice as Idelle rolled her eyes and took the seat closest to the fire. Lulu left her for only a little while as she went to get their food and drinks. When she returned, Idelle looked pale, but already a little better from the much-needed rest. She pushed the small plate of food to her friend.

"I'm sorry, Dell. We should've stopped sooner."

"And miss that incredibly inspiring display of you tripping over your own feet when that krelvig dove out from those bushes? I wouldn't've missed that for the world, Lulu." Idelle smiled slyly as she tore off a piece of bread and popped it in her mouth. Lulu's nose wrinkled with annoyance.

"Laugh it up, but it could've been anything coming out of there. It could've been a resistance fighter or a loyalist. Either one would've tried to kill us. I saved your life."

"Yes, you did. You saved me from the vicious krelvig with its long, little snout, four tiny paws, and its evil soft fur that feels like silk. Thank the goddess you startled it away before it could mistake me for a piece of grass."

"I do hate you, you know," Lulu glared at her friend as she sipped her rather tasteless ale. "I'll remind you, I'm a highly desirable traveling companion and could pick anyone else to travel with, but I keep you around...because I'm nice."

"Ha! You keep me around because no one else can stand you for longer than twenty seconds!"

"What about...?"