Chapter Thirty

—Lower Town, Kiverryn—

It was long before dawn when Thancred woke to the sound of muffled screaming. He was out of bed, spear and shield in hand in the blink of an eye, but there was no intruder in the darkened room, no danger that required him to be so heavily armed. Hesitant to relax, Thancred waited until he heard the sound again. It came from his left.

Moonlight played softly through the small open window behind him. Its pale glow reached out toward the restless, thrashing form of the Savior. Her black hair lay messily across her face, arms and legs flung about as whatever dreams plagued her tried to pry open her lips to scream. But whatever she fought in her mind, she faced valiantly, keeping that scream from piercing the air.

Thancred lowered his weapon and shield, placing them back into their spot beside the bed before moving silently toward her. He reached for the blanket tossed haphazardly across her feet and untangled it gently so as not to wake her. When he had tucked it around her, he laid a hand on her shoulder, hoping to ease her dreams. Yet, his touch did nothing to soothe her. Her head tossed about, brow furrowed, and then she reached for his hand. There, on the back, a cut he had received earlier in the day stitched itself back together beneath her touch.

Even in her dreams, Ori cared for everyone around her.

Thancred sighed softly. There was nothing he could do for the Savior and neither could he return to sleep after such an awakening. He stretched his shoulders, rolled his neck, and stepped outside the small home they had been given for their party's use. He took a deep breath. Dawn was still a long way off.

"She's getting worse," came a soft voice to his left. Idelle stepped into the moonlight, a thick wool shawl draped about her shoulders to keep the cool autumn wind at bay. Her hair was down, soft, gentle waves tossed by the breeze, violet eyes glowing in the moonlight.

Thancred followed her forlorn gaze, listening to Ori's muffled cries. "Could you hear her across the street?"

Idelle shook her head. "There are magical currents everywhere, running through the earth, through objects, through you and me. I could sense her aether anywhere. It feels twisted and sick. I can't imagine the amount of pain she's in."

"Is there anything we can do to help?"

"No. Either we would have to destroy the staff, or Ori will have to learn to conquer it. I'm not strong enough to destroy a relic as ancient as that staff, and only Ori knows her limits."

"It seems wrong that the Savior has no one who can help her."

"The only one who could help her, I think, is her mother, but Ori would never forgive me if I sent word home."

"Bad blood?"

Idelle smiled at that. "Absolutely not. Ori adores her family. The Path isn't the only one who has sought her out for her abilities. There are others who want her power for themselves. That's why she left home so young. Lulu and I left to try to find Lulu's dad, but Ori left because she didn't have a choice. The last night she was home was the night we were attacked. Her mom was nearly killed. Even if Ori was near death, I doubt she would return home."

"She might not forgive us, but maybe we should contact her mother anyway. If she carries on like this..."

Idelle shook her head gently. "I'm worried for her, yes, but you have no idea what that girl is capable of. I have faith in Ori, more so than any man on the earths or gods in the heavens. If there is a way to conquer the power of the staff, she'll find it."