Chapter Thirty-Six

—Lower Town—

She wasn't supposed to be there. All was quiet. Tal'Dovah was gone, and the Sorceress remained locked away in her tower. It was their moment to rest, likely their only moment, to be sure, and she should be taking this time to breathe and prepare for what was to come next.

But, before she could take the opportunity to settle, before she could bring herself to contemplate the monumental task that would greet them next, she had to, for her own peace of mind, look at what was written on those sacred pages only one person was ever allowed to read.

Ori stilled in front of The Broken Song, her fingers hovering over the corner of the ornate leather binding. The answers she wanted would not be inside. She knew The Broken Song by heart, each verse dancing through her mind as she warred with herself over whether or not to open the book. No one else was allowed to behold the sacred text within. Only The Voice was allowed such a privilege, and though she questioned her faith from time to time, she always found herself drawn back to The Broken Song.

Why, was what she wanted to know? Why was she pulled by the power of The Broken Song? Why was she considered to be the Savior when she wasn't even certain The Path offered the correct teachings? Why had the Creator remained silent while she suffered from the sludge?

Why? Why? Why? Why?

The words echoed in her mind, doubt whipping up a fury of questions that kept her body still, her fingers unable to lift the cover of white leather with golden etchings.

"Worried that it's blank?" a voice spoke from the shadows.

Ori couldn't help but smile sheepishly as she turned around. Uncle Corlis stepped from behind one of the marble pillars, his blue eyes filled with warm amusement. The battle with Tal'Dovah had given him one or two fresh new wounds that would have scarred easily, but Ori's purification of the sludge had done more than she intended. It had been a moment of healing, not just for the plague, but for every ailment within the city. It had garnered her much praise and gratitude, but, for Ori, it had filled her with fear. She hadn't intended for such a thing to happen. So, how did she have the strength to heal everyone?

"Why would it be blank?" she asked as her uncle joined her near the elaborate podium.

"Lulu. Every time she visits, she ends up asking if the book is actually blank. She says The Voice just makes it up as he goes."

"But, you can sing The Broken Song. It's not like no one knows the verses."

Uncle Corlis shrugged. "You know Lulu doesn't care about the evidence if she believes the contrary. She made her mind up and that's all there is to say about that."

"It doesn't help that The Voice doesn't allow anyone to read from the text."

"So, why don't you open it?"

Ori shook her head. "The answers I want aren't in there."

"What answers?"

"Why I could purify something as powerful as the sludge. Why I healed everyone when that wasn't my intention at all. Why..."

"Why you were chosen?"

Ori nodded slowly. "That's stupid, isn't it?"

Uncle Corlis smiled softly. He crossed his arms over his chest, a thoughtful look crossing his features as a faraway glint shone in his eyes. "No. I remember your mother used to wonder the same thing."

"She did?" Ori found herself rocking forward on her toes, feeling five-years-old again, listening to her father tell her stories of exotic lands.

"All the time. That's what kept her grounded, and why even if you ask her today she'll say that she just got lucky enough to win a war she never wanted."