prologue

THIRD-PERSON POINT OF VIEW

EVERYWHERE SHE WENT THE EYES FOLLOWED. It couldn't be helped, her beauty was second to only the goddess of love, Aphrodite, herself. Her beauty had no parallels and anyone who glanced at her would instantly become ensnared.

Desdemona Freecss strolled along the street that was bursting with life. To her right was a vendor selling fresh produce and to the left was a musician that immediately started to play a song inspired by her. The girl smiled and left some coins in the box in front of the man who had just serenaded her.

Desdemona was minding her own business looking at a butterfly hairpin when all of a sudden a shrill voice screamed out.

"THIEF! SOMEBODY CATCH THAT THIEF!"

Desdemona put down the pin and glanced behind her to see the commotion as everyone else had.

A kid, a little girl, was running from two men with three baguettes clutched against her chest, so tight it seemed like the gluten would explode.  It didn't take long for the men to catch up to her, the girl was scrawny and tiny. The poor girl was knocked to the ground and kicked for her crime.

"Stop."

It only took one word from Desdemona and the entire street stopped what they were doing and looked at the light-haired girl. It was as if they were entranced and put under a spell. The crowd parted as she walked closer to the thief. The little girl was trembling on the ground, still tightly clutching the baked goods in her arms.

"I will pay for the bread she stole, there is no need for grown men like you to assault a child for petty theft," Desdemona said as she helped the girl up.

The baker agreed and was paid before heading back to tend his storefront. 

The crowd had disappeared and everyone went back to what they were doing before. However, one thing they could not forget was her voice. Her voice was as smooth as velvet. They felt like as long as she said it, they would do anything. 

"Thank you, miss! I don't really know how to repay you... my mother has gotten sick and we didn't have any food left at home." The girl explained, holding back her tears, "You're really kind. Out of everyone on the street, you were the only one who helped me."

"It's alright, darling. I wish you and your mother the best." Desdemona said and left the girl standing in the middle of town.

Once Desdemona left the busy part of town she was immediately dragged into an alleyway. Of course, there would be people who were so enamoured by her that they would do anything to have her belong to them. 

"Sweetcheeks, if you come with us, you won't get hurt. So be a good girl and cooperate okay?" One man said and put his arm around her shoulder. The rest of the group started closing in on her.

Oh, how wrong were they. From the moment they saw her, they were hers.

"Diabolical beings. Why don't you just die? If your actions are as sinful as Satan, maybe you should meet him in hell."

As soon as she said her command, the men started fighting amongst themselves

As soon as she said her command, the men started fighting amongst themselves. Apathetic and tired, Desdemona walked out of the alleyway, leaving behind a mass of dead bodies and pools of blood.