Chapter 9

A day without Zack.

"Don't you think you've been spending a lot of time with that boy lately?" It was a sign my mom was about to start another lecture of hers.

"Not again, mom!" I snapped.

"Mind your tongue, young lady. I see he has been teaching you his ways. He left his parents to live away like a spoiled brat and now you're getting ready to follow his footsteps."

"It's none of his fault." I defended him.

"Now you'll cross your own mother for that boy?"

"Mom, please! What mother?" I rolled my eyes at her.

"Shut up Faara. Shut up. Don't dare you talk to me in that tone. I will set you straight if you do that again and you won't like my ways." She spoke with an evil grin. I knew what she meant. What kind of a mother was she? Well, a secret here. She wasn't my real mother. My dad had remarried after my mom died giving birth to me. My dad, unlike others, never blamed me for her death. But my step mother along with her ex boyfriend left no stone unturned in making my life miserable. I hated her and her filthy friend. He was my worst nightmare.

"Leave me alone!" I screamed at her as I ran out grabbing my bag and wiping my tears. They were getting out of control now. I wiped them away before entering the bus and settled quietly at my place. The ride to school was gloomy and sad. The start of the day had been bad and I didn't know what was coming ahead to make it worse. Zack was awfully quiet that day. Infact, he had been quiet for some days now but I didn't dare to ask because that was his personal matter and I still didn't know what place I had in his life except for being a project partner.

After the class, I went to the library because I needed a book. I was looking through the mathematics section when someone tapped my shoulder from behind.

"Hey brownie!" It was him, again. By him, I mean, James. James who was the head of 'Bullying Faara' campaign ever since I started high school.

Soon enough, he was joined by his friends which included three boys more.

"You're looking extra sexy today. Just wanna grab my share."

"Fuck off, James."

"Brownie got guts. Zacky tamed you well?"

He was now getting on my nerves. Before I could react, he held my arms tightly. I spit on his face.

"How dare you, bitch?" He seethed like a hungry tiger. But then his anger was replaced by an evil smirk. He brought his face closer. His friends held my arms and legs restricting my all kinds of movements. My heart was running a marathon. I closed my eyes because I didn't want to see what was going to happen next. He buried his face in the side of my neck and pulled down the strap of my top. He kissed my bare shoulder. His hands were all over my body and then he slid his hands inside my top. I shuddered and kicked him but of no avail. I turned my face sideways. My eyes all wet with tears and my vision blurry. I made eye contact with the only person whom I didn't want to face right now but truth be told, I needed him the most. I saw the colour of his face drain as he saw me caged there by these four animals. His eyes grew red and he fisted his hands tightly, trying to contain his anger. He ran towards them and punched James straight in the face. It came as a hard blow and made him lose his balance. He fell to the ground. Zack sat on him and continued to punch his face until he was oozing blood out of his nose and mouth. His friends attacked him and kicked and punched him but he fought them away. I was silenced in one corner looking at the horror unfold in front of my eyes.

"Zack!" I whispered through my tears. It was as if he came back to his senses hearing my voice. He quickly left him and ran towards me to hug me.

"Are you okay, baby?" He kept asking as he hugged me tighter making me bawl my eyes out in his hold. I never wanted him to see me like this ever. I had been in this situation before but I kept mum about it. Nobody knew about this and now he did. He saw.

"Faara, say something na." He pleaded as he cupped my face. I couldn't. I was traumatized. My day was now the worst. I buried my face in his chest as he placed his chin above my head, securing me in his arms. I felt him taking off his jeans jacket. He wrapped it around my shivering figure and took me out in the backyard. I was practically glued to his side and hiding behind him.
As soon as I noticed that we were alone, I screamed. I screamed and cried so loud that it scared him to see me like that. He instantly took me in his hold and let me take it out, calming me in the process. He kissed my head and I relaxed somewhat in his hold. When he was sure, I was okay. He wiped my tears and cupped my face, staring at me. I was too ashamed to look at him in the eye. What would he be thinking of me? I didn't know. I didn't want to think about it. He settled me on the bench and gave me some water to drink.

"Sorry." I whispered after an eerie silence.

"What are you saying sorry for exactly?"

"For bothering you."

"Shut up, Faara. The only sorry you should be saying is for keeping me in the dark about this. I don't know what to say to you. Had I not seen this myself, you would have never told me. I hate you!" He blasted at me.

"I am really sorry." I flinched as some more tears made their way out. 

"Faara!" He whined as he kneeled down in front of me. "I don't know what to say right now."

"Then don't say anything na." I hiccuped, crying.

He hugged me once more and I sniffed.

"Listen, you go and rest today. And don't come at my place tomorrow for the project." He said after a while.

"Mine neither." I quickly added.

I knew there was some problem at his house and he knew that same was my case but we both didn't want to face each other and neither our realities. The next day passed without Zack. I skipped school and stayed locked up in my room without eating anything. I kind of missed him around me, making me happy, protecting me, taking care of me. I had grown so attached to him in these four months that I couldn't imagine being away from him. He had become a part of my routine and it felt weird to be away from him from so long. Truth be told, I really missed him. He knew my darkest secrets now. But I trusted him with them. What was he to me? I didn't know. But somewhere, deep in my heart, I knew I wanted him to stay by my side, protect me and help me fight the world. Maybe always.

■■■■■■■

Umm..thoughts?