Chapter 7

A new beginning?

Life is weird. When you're kind of happy, time flies as if it was just the blink of an eye. But when you're sad, time seems to have stopped. Before I knew it, first term has already passed. The first phase of our project was done and dusted. And what was the most surprising is that the partner I dreaded the most happened to be one of the coolest and the most helpful. He and his friends made all our meetings fun. He had been an ass all the time but in a good way as in to tease me and make my mood better when I was feeling down. I had become good friends with the BBH squad. Infact, Ishika and Sam as well. Sam and Tom were sort of seeing each other now and dare I say, these two were the cutest couple to ever exist on earth. Not at all cheesy or show off but all sorts of cute. Just the way Sam liked to be private. We played, we worked, we ate, we laughed. In short, we had been doing everything together and it was totally worth it. I was scared as well because happiness didn't last long. Right?
Anyway, second term was starting today and so was the second and most important phase of our project. I took my usual breakfast and ran to school. I had slept in and so missed the bus. I reached school 5 minutes late into the first class that was of Environmental Sciences. We went to the field near the school.

"So this is your location for the quadrant experiments. You guys go and collect the samples." The teacher instructed us. We were on a field trip for our practical demonstration that was about the population of different species in an area by using the quadrant method. It seemed interesting. I took the equipment from the guide, excited for it and went to the farthest area assigned to the students. Zack and Ishika were assigned the other locations. All the students were busy in experimenting and collecting samples when I felt something weird on my leg. Before I knew it, that scorpion had stung me on the leg and I screamed loudly in pain. It hurt so much that the tears unwillingly escaped the corners of my eyes. I saw Zack immediately dropping his notepad and turning around to see me on the ground. He ran towards me to see if everything was alright. I was sitting on the ground and my eyes were shut tightly as I winced in unbearable pain. His eyes roamed around the area before they widened in terror to see a black scorpion crawling around me and going into the bushes.

"Faara." He called out as he kneeled down beside me and placed his hand on my shoulder.

He removed my hands from my calf and the wound terrified him more. My leg was visibly swollen and the area was growing red.

"It's okay. I am gonna take you to the camp. Don't cry." He wiped away my tears. I just nodded at him as more tears made their way out. I was in too much pain to speak anything right now. Without thinking further, he slipped his arms beneath my waist and knees and scooped me up in his arms. He ran as fast as he could towards the camp and settled me on the bed gently.

"Scorpion sting." He quickly told the emergency doctor.

"What? How?" He asked, confused. Students were not allowed to go that far.

"Can you please start treating? She's in too much pain right now." He spoke furiously.

"Okay, Okay. Calm down little tiger." He chuckled and dragged his stool near the bed. He held my leg in his hand and turned it around to see the effected area. "Ouch. This looks bad." He spoke, closing his eyes a bit.

I began to cry more as I heard those words from his mouth. All I knew about scorpion bites was that they could kill you. "I don't wanna die."

Zack looked at me, appalled as if I was telling him something ridiculous. He took my hand in his and squeezed it tightly. "Hey, it's alright. You're gonna do just fine. Don't worry." He spoke with a hint of worry in his voice.