38

"Wow these shoes are comfy.."

Adora played with her new low ponytail-like strands of hair and walked in front of Catra, who was crouched in her jacket. "Catra?"

She turned around and saw the feline's posture straighten up immediately. "What? What do you want?" Catra snarled defensively.

"You're not chickening out are you?" Adora frowned, cocking her head to the side. "What? No! I'm not chickening shit! What is a chicken??"

"Are you kidding me..?"

The two kept a strained silence for a minute as they kept walking through the Whispering Woods. Catra looked around, growing more and more tense as the walk continued. "Catra, are you feeling the same thing I am?"

Adora stopped and turned around, bangs slightly covering her bright blue eyes as she held her hand against her chest. "I think so," Catra admitted. "What? Are you scared?"

"I have a right to be!"

They kept walking. "The Horde hurt a lot of people. It hurt us. I don't want to go back."

"Hah, yeah.." the cat girl picked at her nail nervously and looked at Adora's face. "I just want to make it right so I can get this over with."

After a while of walking, the two finally exited the Whispering Woods and found a desolate Horde camp. Catra tensed visibly and Adora crossed her arms over herself. "Let's keep going, the sun is setting."

"Why couldn't we just take your horse?" Catra asked, annoyed. "Because..well, I haven't seen him in awhile. He's doing his own thing." The feline groaned but kept trucking on.

:*^*:

The night sky was comforting. No sight of the Horde ruin anywhere though.

Adora yawned and stretched up, stopping her path. "What?"

"Nothing, just tired."

Catra nodded at no one in particular and stopped too. She kneeled down and grabbed some of the dirt under her. She held it up to her face and sniffed it. "There's life growing here." Adora looked around. "Looks dead to me."

"Look, let's just—start a fire. Get some dry leaves and some rocks and I'll get firewood."

"Uh ok? Don't hurt yourself out there," Adora warned tiredly.

Catra huffed and ran into a nearby wood, stopping to admire the leave glowing against the moonlight. The stars definitely helped her see even though she could see pretty well. Cuz she's a cat.

She saw an unsteady tree and spit at the ground, cracking her knuckles. "Easy," she muttered. She unsheathed her claws and snarled at the tree; the feline girl jumped up and scratched at it as hard as she could. It sliced in half and she kicked it, sending the tree to the ground.

"Shit, chipped it." She looked at her ring finger and saw the nail chipped vertically. Nothing too bad, she'd just use some wood as a nail filer. Catra used her other hand to slice up the tree into sizable things to carry. "Sorry flower girl, gotta do what you gotta do," she whispered to the tree and picked the pieces up, growling as they were heavy all at once. "Adora better appreciate this."

:*^*:

Adora picked up a couple sticks and dropped them near her collection.

Catra came back just when she finished and dropped all the wood onto the ground. "Sit. I'll set it up."

"What? No Catra I can help you!" Adora picked up a piece of wood put it in position but Catra kicked. "Ok now you're just being mean," Adora whined.

"You're still recovering! I said I don't need you—I mean your help."

Catra sighed and put the fire wood piece back. "Sorry, habit."

"I get it, it's ok," Adora smiled and started getting rocks and placing them in a neat circle. "But I'm not some damsel in distress. I'm fine."

"Ugh, whatever you say princess."

Catra heaved the last price of firewood into a standing up position and wiped her hands on her pants. "Ok, so I've never done this before. I honestly thought the fire would start by itself."

The blonde laughed and grabbed a stick and a piece of wood. "Ok, check this out."

Adora pulled Catra closer and stick the stick into the log. She started to rub her hands back and forth, making the stick turn with her. "Ok..? That's kind of stupid Adora."

"I'm not done, you jerk!" She used her arm strength to go faster and the log started to smoke. After a couple minutes of trying, Adora felt a head of sweat grace her face. "Do you need—" "Nope! I got it."

Catra rolled her eyes and waited. Adora kept working at the wood until there was a flicker of fire. "Shit, Adora did you do it yet??"

"You're rushing me!!" Adora yelled. She threw the stick away and pouted. "You suck Catra."

"Yeah well, not as hard as you blow."

"What—"

"COUGH. Anyway, give me one."

Catra grabbed another stick and smoothed it out. She dug it into another part of the log and copied Adora's movement except faster. A couple sparks started to form and soon there was a tiny fire. She quickly place the log under all the other ones with some help from her friend and a small line of smoke started to come alive from within.

"What?? Unfair!" Adora whined once more, pouting more and making a face. Catra laughed to herself and sat down, yawning herself. "Yeah well, I'm just better than you."

"You wish.."

Adora sat down next to her and watched the fire grow. "You hungry?" "I'm good," Catra mumbled. Adora gracefully draped an arm around the feline and let her lean on her shoulder. "Well, you earned some peace tonight. I'll take first watch."

"Adora this isn't an apocalypse, we don't need watch."

"You never know!"

"Ugh fine.." Catra nuzzled into the crook of Adora's neck and flicked her ears up and down. The tightness against her friend was..nice.

She closed her eyes and purred against Adora's hand running through her exposed bangs.