chapter I

i wake up feeling hella sick. today was the day i move. move away from my whole fucking life?! my friends, the little family outside of my mom i had, and away from the streets i called home. i know that makes me sound like some fake wannabe gangster saying 'the streets'. but knowing that im leaving the place that raised me. it hurts.

this is so dumb?! i lived in California i didn't imagine living in some random ass town called chippewa in Michigan. but this is what my mom wants, i look out the airplane window. she's writing something down in her notebook. she's a therapist and is writing some book on psychology. she wrote two books before she even finished college. and im a dumb 16 year old who just skateboards and plays the drums. yeah im a cliche burnout don't worry i already know. if it helps i wanna write films one day. maybe that's the one good thing i got from my mom? i suck ass at mathematics but damn can i write. "you okay sweetie? you want one of the cookies in my bag!" my mom smiles at me picking up her purse. "sure mom" i laugh as she gets out a plastic bag she packed with cookies. she's always acts really happy around me ever since dad died. as much as i love it back home i understand why she wanted a fresh start. i just didn't want one at a new school. i miss my friends, we'd make short films of us skateboarding around parks and inside gas stations till we'd get kicked out. smoke till we felt like we could fly and stay out all night and walk around going into different record stores.i don't imagine doing anything in a place called Chippewa. i close my eyes and fall asleep.

"honey?? wake up! sweetheart?" my mom smiled as my eyes fluttered open. "what?" i say rubbing my eyes and looking around now seeing that we've landed in the hell hole called Chippewa.
our car was apparently brought over? that always surprised me, how they could get all the cars to follow you along your plane just in time to get with you. we had a 1964 chevrolet impala with lowrider hydraulics and everything! because of my dad i fell in love with cars. and he left us this beauty. but when i saw the car from my childhood parked next to it my heart dropped and my eyes filled with tears. i looked over at my mom and she had the most goofy smile. "mom!" i say hugging her tightly, "happy 17th birthday!" she cried, "not for another two months! mom!! this is crazy?! i can't believe it! it's dads old car he'd work on." i run up to the car the keys tightly in my hand from my mom. a 1941 Pontiac Torpedo or in other words a fucking nice car! my mom looks at me and sighs as she scribbled down something on a piece of paper, "this is the address to our new house but please follow behind me." "i get to drive it!" i smiled, "duh? i'm not coming back for it and you know how to drive plus it's yours anyways. your responsibility." she laughed.

driving in the car felt magical, we looked a little outa place in Michigan. i could care less, my dads necklace was hanging from the rear view mirror. this car felt like home to me. maybe living here won't be that bad. looking at the many cars around us and only then noticing some people looking over i laugh a little to myself. two old school cars both bumping loud ass music. our suitcases in the back of our cars. we tired to take as much stuff as we could in our suitcases since the truck with most of our stuff wasn't coming for a few days. i don't know if y'all have ever seen a map but Cali to Michigan. kinda far.

we get to a small house with much small town charm to it. my mom looked at me with a weak smile "it's home?" we walked in and it was pretty cozy, my mom looked over at me, "y/n? could you maybe go to the store and pick up some things for us? i'm SO hungry!" my mom smiled as she pulled out my record player she stuffed in one of her suitcases. "fine! give me your card." i flash a big smile. she stared going through her purse. "only what we definitely need y/n!" she says handing it to me, "i know i know, a coffee a machine and....?" i smiled walking out the poorly lit house, "lots and lots of coffee" she laughed. having a mom who writes and reads day and night kinda plunges her and whoever she lives with into a caffeine crack house basically. pulling up to the closest grocery store it's too early in the morning for this my head hurts from lack of food, coffee, and adequate sleep.

so far i have a coffee machine, coffee grounds, breakfast cookies, milk, eggs, two new coffee cups, light bulbs, bread, butter, fruit... i huffed feeling another cart hit my own not wasting a second to even see if it was my fault i looked up hella mad to see a older man standing there looking just as annoyed. "could you watch it my dude? like come on i got eggs." i say slightly wanting to laugh from the tone i used for saying eggs. "you knocked into me young lady!" i scoffed at that, "young lady? i ain't your lady man. now you're in my way of the many different kinda donuts y'all got here." i give him a dumb smile and he looked like he wanted to smack me. a tall guy around my age walked up to him "here dad i got what you needed." he says looking nervous. "thank you Nick. you young lady need to learn some manners!" he scoffed at me as i smiled back, "bite me!" i huffed then slightly making eye contact with the teen boy. he looked hella shocked and confused. i just grabbed a bag of donuts and headed for the cashier.

once heading home my mom was happy to see coffee was bought along side breakfast things. i was unpacking what i had into my very empty room. all i had was my skateboard, a few pairs of clothes, my record player with a few albums, a few books, some bathroom stuff, and my notebook and pencils alongside my camera. laying on the cold wooden floor of my empty new room i started to smell coffee and headed back over to my mom to see her putting in the new lightbulbs and seeing coffee brewing. the thought of school popped in my head but quickly left noticing it's a Sunday and getting me in a school may take a minute seeing that we didn't even have a couch.

we sat on the floor eating donuts and drinking coffee i told her about the annoying man at the store and she laughed, we talked about our old home, my moms new job, when the truck would get here which was luckily in two days. and we talked about how we'd try and at least make our house feel like it did back home. she talked a little about dad but not enough to get emotional. for a therapist she's really good at ignoring her feelings and pushing through what honestly should probably be talked about.

after that my mom spent her day at a coffee shop working on her writing. i figured skateboarding made sense seeing that it would give me more of a reason to see around Chippewa. It was glum. the weather was slightly sunny today, fall was about to begin which was nice. the air was crisp and chilly, i felt the wind slide against my body as i skated past my new school. i went closer to it and found myself doing tricks around the bleachers. stopping for a second and remembering what i had in my pocket. a beautifully rolled joint and a lighter. i smoked more then i probably should but it's still early in the day so i might as well get in a morning high. i was laying my back down on the bleacher bench until i heard someone's foot steps which slightly freaked me out. until then seeing some lanky hippie with long blonde hair. "fuck" i mumble under my breath. "hey! what are you doing up here!" he says getting closer " shit shit shit." i say fumbling and grabbing my board to get the hell outa here. after he sees the smoke he hurried up faster, "you can't be doing that! stop right there!" i panic and start running to the concrete and started getting a good few steps into running before throwing my board in front of my feet and speeding out of there. once i get my footing settled i took a few puffs and let the smoke leak out between my lips slowly and look back at him as he looked helpless. finishing the rest while slowly skateboarding down some houses i felt calmer. doing a few tricks here and there i kept thinking about my friends back home. i wonder what they're doing right now. either sleeping in, or smoking and being stupid. i get back to my house and take a nap on the floor. we had no beds so it was the best i could do.