Chapter Twenty-Three: Just a Simple Text

I was orginally going to be really mean with this chapter, but since this book reached 200,000 READS! I WAS LIKE WHAT THE HECK LETS HAVE A HAPPY ENDING, SO ENJOY! 

Dedicated to  The_crazy_writer_12 for her amazing banner!

check it out! 

Chapter Twenty-Three: Just a Simple Text

“I hate to be a Debby Downer, but why are you at my house?” Elliot asked me as he wrapped a blanket around me. It was the first thing he did after leading me into the house; I guess it wasn’t smart for me to walk around in freezing cold weather with no jacket on. “And why are you crying? Rose, what’s going on?”

Now you care, I wanted to tell him, but I restrained myself because I missed Elliot. I missed his voice. I missed my friend.

“We need to talk. You can’t avoid me forever. We have to talk,” I told him as I walked over to his couch, refusing to leave. In the time it took me to get to Elliot’s house, I realized I couldn’t figure anything out unless I restored our relationship. I couldn’t even think of Luke or Rebecca if I didn’t resolve what happened between Elliot and me, the way our relationship fell apart. It shouldn’t have broken the way that it did.

“I don’t want to talk about it, Rose. I really don’t. There's a reason I've been avoiding you and your texts,” he said harshly, not moving away from the front door and refusing to sit next to me.

“Why are you so mad? People break up. At least I had a legitimate reason!” I shrieked. I had a feeling I was about to fight World War III.

“Why for Rebecca? You dumped me for Rebecca? Honestly, Rose, did you ever take my feelings into consideration, or just hers? How did you think she would feel when she realized that I still wouldn’t go out with her, even after you and I stopped dating? How would she feel when I rejected her because I don’t see her like I see you?” He responded. I was taken back, but I held my composure.

“At least she won’t blame me if you say no. I won’t be the person that stands between the two of you. Don’t you get that I don’t have any family left, Elliot? As much as I hate to say it, she and Josh are the only family I have. I finally have a second chance to renew a relationship that I thought would never exist. I just don’t want to lose a relationship to gain another one,” I told him, and it was at that moment Elliot’s face softened.

“I was just hurt. You never gave us a chance. We called each other boyfriend and girlfriend, but we didn’t even get to go on a legitimate date. I was just mad because I would never know what could have been. If Rebecca wasn’t there, would we have ended up being high school sweethearts, maybe even dating until college?” He said as he walked over and plopped down next to me, gripping my hand. I gave him a short smile and rubbed my thumb over his hand.

“I need to be honest Elliot. I did like you, but I knew it would never go as far as you'd want it to.”

He gave me a confused look, raising an eyebrow.

“I just don’t want to fall in love. After what happened to my mother, the whole concept scares me. I don’t want to be so dependent on someone that my whole life would crumble at the thought of them leaving me. It wouldn’t have been fair for me to lead you on,” I told him and he nodded his head.

“I kind of knew,” he said.

I stared at him in shock.

“Well, I didn't know about the mom reason, but I knew you didn’t like me as much as you used to.”

My eyes grew even wider in shock as I jumped up, my scarf falling off my neck.

“You knew I use to like you?” I asked chocking on my saliva, while Elliot laughed profusely.