Where it all Began Part 4

Where it all Began

1997

It was nearing three in the morning when Dean pulled up to the motel he, his younger brother, and his father were staying at. Edward was still sleeping when he turned off the Impala. With a sigh, Dean gently lifted the boy’s head from his thigh, left the car, and walked around to the passenger side of the car. He opened the door and pulled the young blond out by his legs. While the boy’s legs hung out of the car, the rest of him still laid on the seat. Dean then pulled the boy up by his arms into a sitting position. He then placed his arms on his back and under his knees and picked the boy, bridal style. Dean’s done this multiple times with his younger brother, Sam, whenever they roll into a new town but with Sam getting older and taller, it was getting more difficult for either Dean or their father to carry him.

Dean carried Edward up to the door and tried to open the door with his key. He was finding it difficult to find the lock with a young sleeping body in the way. Suddenly, the door opened without him unlocking it.

“Sam, the hell you still doing up?” Dean snapped as his fourteen year old brother opened the door.

“I was asleep but you woke me up with your cursing and trying to open the door” the boy groaned as he rubbed his eyes. “Who’s the kid?” Sam asked as Dean pushed passed him.

“His name is Edward and Dad and I found him at the house” Dean explained as he laid him on his bed.

“Where’s Dad?” he asked. Dean froze at the question.

“He’s…uh…” he didn’t look at Sam as he tried to think of something. “I don’t know” he whispered.

“What do you mean?” Dean could tell Sam was worried about their father, even though they never saw eye to eye, they still cared for each other.

“I mean, the ghost nearly killed both me and the kid and Dad told me to get the boy out and when I was out at the Impala, the whole house was on fire. I don’t know if he’s alive or not” the brothers were silent for a long while. It was until Dean straightened up and walked over to his and Sam’s duffel bags and started to pack.

“What are you doing, Dean?” Sam asked in surprise.

“What does it look like? I’m packing! Da would want us to get to Bobby’s as soon as possible for Edward” Dean explained as he picked up all of their things and stuffed them into the two duffel bags. “Sam, write a note for Dad just in case he comes back after when leave” Sam nodded and when to his school bag. He pulled out a random notebook and ripped a page from it.

“What should I write, Dean?” Sam called from the small dining table.

“Just say that we left for Bobby’s” Dean said as he ran into the bathroom. Sam wrote the note saying he and Dean left for Bobby’s and hid it behind the TV. While Sam was trying to make the piece of paper to stay up, the blond boy began to shift and wake.

“Dean?” he muttered as he opened his eyes. The boy’s sudden voice caused Sam to jump. Turning around, Sam watched the boy sit up and look around. It wasn’t long before they boy’s strangely colored eyes landed on Sam.

“Hi” Sam waved shyly. The boy copied him but didn’t say anything. “My name is Sam” he introduced himself but the boy looked at him in confusion. Just then, Dean walked out of the bathroom with toothbrushes and toothpaste in his hands.

“I see Edward’s awake” he said as he walked to the duffel bags.

“Dean, is there something…wrong with him?” Dean looked at his brother in surprise.

“Why would you say that?”

“He seems very confused” Dean looked from Sam to Edward. He face quickly morphed into an expression like he forgot something.

“I did tell you he doesn’t speak English, right?”

“No, you didn’t” Sam said as he crossed his arms.

“Eng…lish?” Edward muttered at the strange word. Sam looked at the boy and then back to Dean on confusion.

“He’s just copying what I’m saying. He doesn’t even know what I’m saying. Just get dressed and lend him one of your sweatshirts” Dean sighed as he zipped up his duffel bag. Sam sighed and picked the clothes he wore the day before off the floor. As Sam changed, he watched the boy wonder around the room.

“Who are you?” he whispered as he pulled his shirt over his head. While he was tying his sneakers on the floor, he saw black boots walk and stand in front of him. Pausing, Sam studied the boots and saw that they were caked with mud and he could have sworn there were drops of blood on them.

“S-Sam…” Sam looked up at the boy as he said he name. He nodded. He then asked something in a strange language. He looked at the boy in confusion. The boy then turned and pointed to the television.

“You wanna watch TV?” Sam asked.

“T…V…?” the boy asked in confusion.

“You know, television. I don’t think Dean wants us to get too into something. Maybe you can watch something when we get to Bobby’s.” Sam spoke to Edward as if he could understand him perfectly. After he finished tying his shoes, Sam stood up and found he was a head or so taller than Edward.

How old is this kid? Sam thought to himself as he brought his pajamas to his own duffel bag. Edward followed him and watched him pack his things. Sam then remembered that Dean told him to give Edward one of his sweatshirts. He dug through this bag and found an old sweatshirt. He was a dark green hoodie with holes at the ends of the sleeves. He handed it to Edward. He took it but just stood there. Sam ignored him as he pulled out a newer grey hoodie and pulled it over his head.  He then looked back at Edward and saw he copied him but he was having a bit of trouble. Sam went help him but the boy pushed his hands and he shouted something. Sam looked the boy wide eyes for a second before he went to close his bag.

“Ready?” Dean asked as he came back through the door. Sam nodded as he picked up his duffel and walked towards the door. When he reached the doorway, Dean took the duffel and walked to the trunk of the Impala. Sam walked out towards the Impala and took the front passenger seat. When the door closed, he watched as Edward inched his way out and looked around as if he was seeing things for the first time.

“Come on” he heard Dean called as he opened the back door behind the driver. The boy ran out and quickly climbed into the car. Sam heard Dean chuckle before he closed the door and moved to the driver’s seat. Dean slid the key into the ignition and drove away from the motel.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N~ I apologize for not posting anything in forever! I blame school!