Meeting Faith Part 2

Meeting Faith

July 12, 2010

I hurried about my small apartment as I quickly tidied it.

Yesterday, Alphonse called asked if he could come over for a cooking lesson. He also said he needed a break from his job but I don't know where he works. I mean, I've been all over town, I have to be when I'm a photographer, and no one has hired him.

I'm not stalking him; it's just that whenever I go somewhere, someone always asks me if I know the new guy in town.

A loud crash broke me from my thoughts. Turning from my living room, I saw my cat, Joxer, standing on the kitchen counter.

"Hey! Get down!" I hissed, I mean literally hissed, at the orange cat until he jumped off. "Good boy" I patted his head as I picked up the pot that he knocked off the counter. After placing the pot on the stove, I turned back to Joxer and crouched down in front of him. "You better be a good boy when Alphonse is here" he meowed and rubbed his head against my knee. "Yeah, you'll be a troublemaker" I swiped my right hand over his back as a knock came from the door. Joxer's ears pricked at the new sound as he ran towards it. I followed in a quick jog and opened the door. Outside stood my neighbor, Katie.

"Hey, Fayth, mom wants to know if you have three eggs" the ginger teen asked.

"Yeah, I do. Give me a minute" I nodded as I closed the door a crack. When I reached the fridge, I could hear Katie talking to someone.

"You're that guy that recently moved here, aren't you?" She asked.

"Why am I so popular here?" The new voice, Alphonse, groaned. Katie laughed.

"Small town, dude. So are you taking Fayth on a date or something?" I grabbed three eggs from the carton and headed for the door.

"Alphonse, hi!" I smiled wide.

"Fayth!" He said in surprise.

"Here's your eggs, Katie. Now leave" I said with a straight face.

"Are you really going on a date?" She asked as I placed the eggs into her hands.

"No, now go home!" I said as I gently pushed her towards her apartment.

"But-"

"Go!"

"Fine!" She groaned as she left. Alphonse chuckled at our exchange.

"Your sister?" He asked, jerking his thumb towards her apartment.

"You'd think! No, she's just my neighbor" I explained, "come in" I said as I moved aside to let him enter. As he entered, Joxer meowed as he sniffed Alphonse's leg and then rubbed against him.

"Who's this?" He asked with a smile as crouched down to pet the troublemaker.

"That's Joxer"

"My younger brother use to love cats" I watched as he seemed to disappear as he picked up my cat. He absentmindedly began to scratch his neck, which Joxer really enjoyed.

"Use to? He doesn't anymore?" I asked. My question caused the man to wake from his memories.

"Nothing happened. He just grew up" he quickly defended. He put my cat down, cleared his throat, and looked at me.

"So what are we making?" He asked with a smile. I returned the smile after making a mental note to ask him what he meant later.

"You're making spaghetti" I said as I lead him to the kitchen. He stood in the middle of the tiny kitchen, like a lost and confused kid, while I sat at the bar behind the sink.

"Aren't you going to help?" He asked.

"I am. Get that silver pot and fill it with hot water" I instructed him.

"Why hot?" He asked as he brought the pot from the stove to the sink.

"Boils faster" I said. He nodded as he began to fill it. Once it was filled, he looked back at me with golden eyes.

"I'm sorry but are you wearing contacts or something?" I asked. He seemed surprised and confused by my question.

"No, why?"

"Well, it's just that... I've never seen gold eyes outside my video games" he nodded slowly.

"Well, I'm not wearing contacts. They're natural"

"Sorry for asking, place the pot on the stove behind you and turn it up to high." I instructed. Once the pot was on the stove, he moved aside and point to one of the heating knobs. I nodded and turned it on high.

"Now, we wait" I smiled as he turned back.

"Now what?" He asked.

"I'm going to be such a girl when I say this but let's get to know each other a bit more"

~~

That's all we did, we talked.

"You said you have a younger brother, what's his name?" I asked.

"His names Evan but I haven't seen him in a couple years," I saw a flicker a sadness in his golden eyes, "but I have two older brothers whom I see whenever they're in town. They travel a lot"

"What're-" I was cut off by loud hissing. Looking over Alphonse's shoulder, I saw that we had forgotten about the water and it was now boiling over. "Crap!" I hissed as I stumbled out of my chair and into the kitchen.

"What's wrong?" He called over my panic.

"Waters getting really hot" I said as I pulled the pot off the burner to let the water calm down.

"We should be fine now" I breathed as I set the pot on the burner. I took a step back and slipped. It must've been from the water that boiled over. Just before I hit the floor, Alphonse grabbed my hands and pulled me up, sharply. I landed with my cheek to his chest and my arms around his waist. Blushing bright red, I straightened myself out and looked away.

"Sor-" blue electricity cut me off. It seemed to be coming from an old necklace my grandfather gave me. We were both taken by surprise at the show. Suddenly, I felt my eyes getting heavier and heavier.

"Alpho..." I muttered as I fell into darkness.

~~

"Special Agent Ambrose. I'm here to see the woman who was torn apart" a young man in his early twenties said as he showed his FBI badge. The mortician, a middle aged man, looked at the badge then to the blond.

“What does the FBI want with a ripped up corpse?" the mortician asked as he set the newspaper he was reading, which was dated July 17, 2012, aside.

"We just like to view every aspect" the federal agent said with a small smile.

"Alright then. This way, Agent" the older man said as he showed the fed into the morgue.

"This is it" the mortician said as he pulled out one drawer that was chest high on the blond. He pulled back the white sheet and the Agent turned away in disgust. On the tray was a pair of severed limbs, a right arm and left leg, both female and her chest. The last thing on the tray was a cooler.

"Sorry," he muttered before clearing his throat, "Who was she?" he asked.

"Her name was Fayth Carter, age twenty-one. She was the photographer here in town. Wonderful talent. Had a future, she did" he explained. The Agent was now eyeing up the cooler.

"What's in here?" he asked, putting a rubber gloved hand on the lid.

"The...uh...the head" the mortician hesitated. The federal agent groaned inwardly as the mortician began to point out how the limbs seen to have been torn off and not cut.

"Thank you but I've got it from here" the blond smiled at the mortician, who nodded and left. When the door closed, the blond looked at the cooler in sadness.

"Fayth, If you can hear me, I just want to say I'm sorry and that I-" everything faded into darkness before he could finish.