Chapter 29: Fire

-Ian-

    The anxiety was killing him. Ian paced back and forth in the hallway, glancing at the close door of the sitting room. What was he telling her? Was he condemning their relationship? Blessing it?

    "Well, if it isn't the half-blood." Derek's annoying voice broke Ian's thoughts.

    Ian felt the power in his soul rise to the surface. He felt it like a sleeping beast ready to be unleashed, and Ian has been dying to hurt Derek. Derek stood in the doorway of the front door looking at Ian as if he were superior.

    "Now, what are you doing here, half blood?" Derek asked mockingly, "You are not wanted here."

    "So you think." Ian said.

    "Her grandfather will never let you and Salem be together. He wouldn't let your mixed blood taint an ancient line of blue blood witches." Derek stepped forward and Ian felt the heat of his power under his skin. "You're weak. You have no control. You aren't worthy of her."

    "Yet," Ian smirked at Derek, "she chose me over you. Now, that's gotta hurt."

    Derek's eyes flashed black and all the shadows and darkness in the room surrounded him like a living breathing thing. Ian felt the last barrier break in him and flames burst from his hands, covering them in a red and gold blaze. Fire was Ian's affinity, and it burned in him constantly. Ian saw the shock in Derek and smirked at him again.

    "Ian." Salem gasped in awe.

    He knew she was near, but he didn't dare take his eyes off this snake. Derek's power seemed to grow so Ian's power followed suit. Derek couldn't hide his fear from Ian; he could practically smell it, and it awakened the creature inside him.

    Salem's hand touched Ian and the anger in him faded in seconds. He would fight Derek if it meant Salem getting hurt. The flames went out with a roar, and Ian slipped his arm around Salem's waist. Ian looked down at her, but that was a mistake.

    The shadows leaped forward to attack Ian, but they stopped in their tracks when Izrael lifted a hand to them. He waved his hand as you would wave away smoke and the shadows vanished. Izrael turned his eyes on Derek and Ian felt the crackle of raw power and superiority.

    "Attacking a man when his back is turned is disgraceful. Attacking a man who has my granddaughter in his arms is suicide." The Sorcerer King's eyes glowed a menacing red, "Do not ever do that again, boy."

    Derek looked terrified and nodded quickly.The evil glint in Izrael's eyes seem to fade and he regain himself.

    "In a month's time, The Three Rulers will gather to oversee a competition between Ian and Derek. These challenges will determine which of you is worthy of becoming the Prime's consort. Your strength, honor, and loyalty will be tested and in the end, Salem will have her Consort." The Sorcerer King spoke.

    "The Three Rulers?" Salem asked in confusion.

    "The Three Rulers consist of myself, Queen Una of the faeries and Emperor Daechir of the Elves." He told her. "I've already sent word for them. We will have to remodel the house and make it suitable for our royal visitors."

    "For now, what do we do?" Salem asked, slipping her hand into Ian's.

    "Whatever you like, dove." Izrael smiled at her.

     .

    -Salem-

    I flopped down on Ian's bed and gave a great sigh. This was crazy. This was too much. Why can't I just say "hey, I pick Ian!" and everything just roll smoothly? Ian smiled down at me and laid down next to me. After I had went through the "I'm with Ian again" thing with Gwen and Isaac and Daniel, we ran up here to get done peace and quiet.

    Ian pulled me into his side and I thrown my leg over him. We laid there in comfortable silence, listening to each other's hearts. This was it. This was what I wanted. And it could be taken from me if Ian failed.

    "No matter what happens, Ian, I love you." I broke the silence.

    "Don't say it as if it is goodbye. There's never going to be a goodbye between you and I." Ian tightened his hold on me, "I'm not letting anyone come between us. Not Derek and not some royals. I'll do anything to be able to have you completely and fully."

    "You will always have me." I smiled up at him.

    "Yes, but this way no one could ever take you away from me." Ian brushed his finger along my jaw.

    "As if you'd let that happen." I scuffed playfully.

    "As if." Ian agreed with a chuckle.

    Ian leaned down and kissed me. Oh, what a kiss it was. He was branding me, claiming me, with this simple act. His lips were firm and sweet and his tongue danced with mine. I felt each sweep throughout my body, sending wave after wave of heat through me. I groaned in approval when he pushed himself to hover over me and between my legs.

    I wrapped my legs around him and pulled him flush against me. God, how can you want someone so much? How can they touch you once and you are on fire? My fingers ran through his soft brown curls, tugging and earning a groan from him. This was everything.

    "Salem, Ian!" Daniel's voice popped our bubble from the other side of the door.

    "Are you guys naked?" Isaac called after.

    "If so I suggest you put something on cause we're coming in!" Daniel announced.

     Ian groaned and rolled off of me. I smiled at him and snuggled into his side. Daniel and Isaac opened the door and peeked in.

    "Oh, good, you're decent." Isaac smiled.

    "Unfortunately." Ian mumbled so only I heard.

    I laughed and playfully smacked his shoulder. Ian grinned at me and Isaac and Daniel flopped down on the bed with us. Ian sighed and rolled at his cousins.   

    "What do you want?" Ian said in a wary tone.

    "Really, Salem," Daniel glared at Ian, "what do you see in this grump?"

    "Is it the hair?" Isaac asked. "I have the same curly locks, you know."

    "I will throw you out the window." Ian announced.

    "Anyways, Isaac and I have found activity of witchcraft being done in town." Daniel said.

    "If you haven't noticed, there are witches in town." Ian said, "Why are you two Defenders? You guys are rather dim."

    "Shut up." Daniel resorted.

    "What we mean is a human is doing witchcraft." Isaac clarified.

    "A human?" I sat up. "Who?"

    "Well, that's why we can up here." Daniel sat up as well. "The conjuring is targeted at you and Ian."

    "It's Rachel," Isaac spat out.

     *Whaaaaaaat? :o Who else missed the cousins? I did!*