Chapter 16: Interruptions and Interventions

Chapter 16: Interruption and Interventions

-Ian-

"Are you listening to me?" Rick waved a hand in front of Ian's face.

"No." Ian focused on Ricky then. "What were you talking about?"

"Are you ready to start training again? You've been out for eight months now. I think that's enough off time, don't you?" He lifted an eyebrow at Ian.

"I don't know." Ian shrugged.

"Come on, you're amazing kick boxer! You have too much talent to waste." Ricky shook his head, "Coach is asking for you and he isn't going to be happy until you come back, and neither will I, for that matter."

Ian sighed and leaned back on the couch. They were at Ricky's house, playing video games in his den. Ian ran a hand through his hair and looked up at the ceiling. Ian was worried about Salem; he hadn't talked to her since she left work yesterday. He'd call and get voicemail right away.

"Well?"

"I don't know, man. I don't think I want to box again. That last fight was a hard one, Ricky." Ian looked over to him. “It took a lot out of me.”

"But you won."

"But look what it cost me." Ian shook his head in frustration.

"Come on, Ian. You can't let that hold you back." Ricky shook his head. "Salem would love to see you fight."

"She's seen me fight before." Ian pointed out lamely.

"Yeah but not in the right environment." Ricky rolled his gray eyes. "I think she'd be amazed at the crowd and the whole spectacle. Salem would love to be there, cheering you on."

"What if..." Ian frowned.

He couldn't help but be scared. What if she became scared of him? What if she didn't want him anymore? That last fight... Ian lost control completely.

"Ricky, where are the car keys?" Emma hopped down the stairs that led down to the den. "Yo, Ian."

"Yo, Emma." Ian smiled at her.

"The keys?" Emma asked again.

"Why?" Ricky asked but Ian knew he could hand them over all the same.

"Jaime and I are going to catch a movie." She answered just as Ricky tossed the keys over to her.

Emma smiled at him sweetly. Ricky was a sucker for Emma, he would do anything for her. Ian thought of her like a little sister too; he's seen her grow up to a beautiful young lady. She’s been through some hard times, but she still manages to smile about things.

"Hey, Ian, have you talked to Salem? She's not answering my calls or texts." Emma frowned, "I'm starting to worry."

"No, not since yesterday." Ian looked at his phone. "I'm going to head out now, Ricky. I'm going to check on Salem."

Ian was leaving Ricky's house and getting in his car when his phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Ian," Salem's raspy voice was a relief to hear.

"Jeez, Salem. What happened last night? I was getting worried, love." Ian asked, turning down his street.

"I'm sorry, my Ian, but my family showed up all of a sudden. I've been talking with my grandfather nonstop, and I didn't realize my phone was dead. I'm so sorry." Her adorable pout could be heard through the phone.

"It's okay, love. I was just worried." Ian pulled up to his house. "Can I see you?"

"I'll go over." Ian heard Salem close her door. "Maybe spend the night?"