Chapter 6: The Questioning

-Salem-

“I don’t know what to wear.” I groaned into my cellphone.

“Salem, calm-yo-tits, girl!” Emma’s voice said into my ear.

“Emma, I’m so serious right now.” I snapped. “There’s going to be a helluva lot of people there that do not like me and who are going to look at me like I’m a sinner in church. Now you need to help me.”

“Okay, take a breath.” Emma said, “Yes, there is going to be people there to judge you, and yes, some don't like you. Even hate you.”

“Thanks for the pep talk.” I said dryly and tossed a dress away from me.

“But Jaime and I are going to be there, and we love you. And besides, you’re not going for the party, you’re going because Ian wants to spend the night hanging out with you. You shouldn’t be worrying about what they think, only what he thinks. So pick something that you think he will like. Simple as that.” Emma said earnestly, “Be yourself. I’d say that that’s what hooked him in the first place.”

I sat on the bed and signed. She was right; Ian was the reason I was going.

“Yeah, okay.” I nodded.

“So, is Ian going to pick you up?”

“He said so.”

“Maybe you should pick him up. No other girl has done that yet.”

“Am I just going to do everything that hasn’t already been done?” I frowned.

“Yes,” Emma exclaimed then shouted in an excited voice, “We’re out to discover!”

“Oh my god, Emma.” I laughed.

“He lives three blocks away from you, by the way. In a gray and blue house, the only one on the street. Come on, Salem. Keep surprising him!”

I sighed and Emma giggled into the phone.

“Alright, hot stuff. I’ll see you in a bit.” Emma rang off.

I stood and looked at all the outfits laid out on my bed. Which one is meant for Ian?

-Ian-

“Why do you look so smug?”

Ian looked up from texting Salem to see his mom looking at him from the doorway of the living room. He had gotten his curly brown hair from her and hers tumbled around her back. She had the same green eyes as him and she was a wonderful mother. She always felt a little odd with the other moms in the town, but she was beautiful and happy here with Ian.

“What? I can’t be happy?”

“Son, I haven’t seen you this happy since you ditched that nightmare of a girlfriend, Rakel.”

“Her name is Rachel, Ma.” Ian smiled.

“Yeah, whatever.” She rolled her eyes. “I never remember their names.”

Not once had Ian’s mom liked any of the girls he brought home; no one was ever good enough.

Would she like Salem? Would he even bring her home in the first place?

Ian decided that he really didn’t really want to bring her here, not that he was ashamed. Hell, Ian had kissed her right in front of her mother. Ian didn’t want to bring her here because he didn’t want his mother to tell him that Salem wasn’t good enough. As far as Ian was concerned, Ian was the unworthy one in their relationship.