Chapter 32: Safety

-Salem-

    "Salem?"

    I tried to open my eyes but they didn't listen to me. I knew it was Ian calling to me and he sounded worried. I felt so heavy and foggy.

    "Salem, can you hear me?" Jace's voice was gentle and concerned.

    I commanded my body to move and my eyelids opened slightly. But the light made me cringe and close them again.

    "Shut off the lights." Jace commanded.

    I tried again and this kept them open. My vision was blurred and it took a moment to clear. And I panicked slightly when I didn't see Ian next to me.

    "Ian?" I called in fear. 

    Where is he? My consort, my Ian. I swear I had heard his voice.

    "I'm here. I'm right here." I felt his hand on mine and I clung to it.

     I tried to sit up but wasn't strong enough. Ian slipped his hand under my shoulders and helped me up. The room slightly turned, but Ian anchored me. My magic called to Ian's and I felt the warm presence of his. It felt like safety.

    I snuggled into his arms and buried my face in his neck. I felt tired all the way to my bones. And his scent and his warmth was surrounding me like a safety blanket.

     "How do you feel?" I heard my grandfather's voice.

     "Sleepy." I whispered.

    "Give her to me, Ian, I need her awake." Jace said.

    "No!" I gasped and my eyes flew open.

    Ian held me tighter to him. His green eyes flashed with concern. I looked up at him and begged him with my eyes not to let me go. That vision I had frightened me. Honestly, I don't even know if it was real.

    "I think she needs some rest." Ian tucked me into his arms tighter.

     "We need to know what happened." Jace shook his head.

    "I had a vision, that's all." I answered.

    "A vision?" I heard my grandma say. 

    I turned my head to see her standing next to my grandfather. I gave her a weak smile and nodded.

     "Of the Goddess." I frowned,  remembering what she said, "She spoke to me."

    "What did she say?" Daniel asked in awe.

    "She wanted to know why it took me so long to accept my fate." I said.

    "What did you tell her?" Isaac asked.

    "I told her it was because I didn't want it. I still don't want it."

    "Salem!" My mom gasped. "You did not tell the Goddess that!"

    "I did." I told her.

    "But why would you do such a thing?"

    "Because it's the truth." I glared, "I even asked her to take it back. But it's no use. It seems because I don't want it is why I will keep it."

     Ian ran his hand through my hair softly. I felt myself relax in his hold.

    "She answered your questions, now let her rest." Ian said and I saw my grandma smile at him widely.

     It seems they've met, and she likes him. My grandfather nodded and ordered everyone out. I was alone with Ian and I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling myself into his lap.