Chapter 21: Unprepared

Chapter 21: Prime

-Salem-

I stared at Derek in silence from across the dining table. He had talked me into coming home and my mom was fussing around the kitchen trying to fix me something to eat. His eyes were a delicate shade of hazel, showing me he was relaxed and at ease with me. He was very handsome when he wasn't hiding behind that stony façade. His dark hair was styled perfectly in a tousled kind of way and the sharp angles of his face were appealing even in the dim light.

My consort?

I didn't believe I would ever have a consort. I never imagined I would be with anyone at all. Even with our betrothal, there was a high chance he wouldn't be my consort. A consort is a mate that you accept into your heart, soul, and your magic core. I didn't, so that meant that Derek had done all those things for me. All I had to do was do the same and we would be bound forever.

Ian.

But what about Ian? The boy who made me feel beautiful, desirable, and cherished. The boy who defended me countless times and put himself in danger for me. The boy who set my body on fire with a single look. The boy who made my body wild with just a touch. The boy I knew I loved.

"Salem." A voice broke me out of my crushing thoughts.

I looked up and saw my grandfather standing there. His presence was like a wave of power and royalty. I smiled weakly at him. I had really grown to love him, and he was kind and gentle with me in way that he only reserved for my grandma.

"Derek, leave us." He commanded softly and Derek nodded before leaving.

"Salem," he took my hand in his as he sat next to me, "where have you been, child? I was beside myself with worry."

"I'm sorry. I just..." I lowered my head.

"What happened?"

"Ian saw..." I swallowed, "He saw me using magic. He knows."

"Dove, you shouldn't have hid who you are." Grandfather shook his head.

"He couldn't know!" I exclaimed.

"You should not bottle up your powers, Salem, especially you."

"Why?" I frowned, "My mother does it, and my aunt does it. Why shouldn't I?"

"Because you're the next Prime."

-Aunt Savannah-

Savannah's heart sank when she overheard those words. The next Prime? A swell of pity for Salem filled her and she closed her eyes to hold it in. Salem could never be with Ian Hunter again. Savannah left the hall to find her twin. And just like instinct, she found her. Blair was mixing a bowl of fruits in the kitchen and humming quietly.

"Sister," Savannah spoke softly.

"What is it?" Blair asked, hearing the distress in her tone.

"Salem..." Savannah sighed, "She's the next Prime."

Blair's lips parted in a silent gasp. She pressed her fingers to her mouth in shock. She blinked back the tears that formed in her eyes.

"But..." Blair said with tears in her voice, "She's only a child. She has yet to turn 17!"

"In a few days, Blair, she will be." Savannah took her twin's hand. "And we will know for sure."

"How do you know this? How do you know she's a Prime?"

"Izrael just revealed it to her now. I overheard."

Blair's eyes filled with fear.

"She will be hunted." Blair shook her head, "She will be attacked. She will be hated."

"She will be great. She will be almighty. She will be loved." Savannah hushed her twin.

They held each other like they always have. They had been alone for so long before Blair found her beloved, and when Savannah found her love they were all happy. Until, Patrick died, by Savannah's hand. Savannah had to tell Salem.

"I must speak with her. I must tell her why. Why she can't see Ian." Silent tears spilled from Savannah's eyes.

"She'll... Salem will..." Blair shook her head.

"Salem will be strong."

-Salem-

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, trying to keep the anxiety attack back. My mind was spinning and my heart pounding, and I knelt down on the porch. Why? Why me? This couldn't be happening! Everything seemed to be rushing at me, surrounding me, smothering me.

Ian.

Ian snaked his way into my mind. The thought of him was like a drug, and relaxation leaked throughout my blood. I felt my breathing slow just thinking of his cocky smirk, of his unbelievably green eyes, of his unruly dark curls, and of his strong, unyielding body. I just needed the sound of his voice. I needed his warmth and the calming and the comfort of his arms. The memory of his seductive touch and intoxicating scent when we were alone made my heart beat with excitement and my skin shivered with want.

Ian.

My light in the dark. My black knight. My angry warrior. My Ian.

I stood up quickly. I needed to find him. I needed to make him understand. He'd understand and he'd hold me and tell me everything was going to be okay. I needed to tell him that I loved him.

"Salem." A voice stopped me in my tracks.

I turned around and my Aunt Savannah stood there on the porch. Her eyes looked slightly haunting, but I couldn't let get stop me.

"Not now." I shook my head.

"We need to talk."

"No, I need to find Ian."

"Salem," She sounded panicked.

"I got to-"

I tried to walk away from her but her next words stop my steps and my heart.

"You'll kill him."

*Sorry it took so long. I graduated high school and was enjoying my freedom lol. Well, vote and vote and vote!!!!!!!*