Chapter 7: Ricky's party

-Salem-

Ian’s mom was something else. She was beautiful with the same dark hair and green eyes Ian had, but there was something about her. She had an air around her, and I know she was just as protective as her son. But I didn’t have time to think about how strange Ian’s mom was because we had arrived at Ricky’s place. It was an old white Victorian house with navy blue shutters and a roof of the same blue that sat atop a high grassy hill. The land was long and wide and I bet it was beautifully green in the spring, but now in the fall it wasn’t so. The house was lit up against the night with the sound of music, chatter, and laughter. There was people everywhere: on the lawn, in the house, at the side of the house, in the backyard, everywhere.

The streets were packed with cars and young people. Ian parked his car next to a waist high stone wall that surrounded the base of the hill; it was farther and more private than anywhere else, and I was grateful for it. My stomach was knotting from nerves, and I stared at the house through the front windshield.

What will I look like to them? Will they glare at me? Tell me I don’t belong?

“Hey.”

I looked up. I was thinking so hard that I didn’t realize that Ian had gotten out of the car and opened my door. His eyebrows were pulled together in concentration as he looked at me.

“You okay?”

I bit my bottom lip and ringed my hands together.

“I’m scared.” I said, and honestly I don’t know why I admitted that.

Ian slipped his hand into mine and looked me in the eyes. He was gorgeous with his green vulnerable eyes.

“You know, I wouldn’t let anything happen to you, right?” He said gently. "You know we'll leave when you say the word, right?"

His messy curls moved with the breeze, and he looked so hot in his dark gray long sleeved shirt and dark jeans.

“I know.”

His face lit up with a boyish grin. Ian helped me out and locked the car. We made our way along a path that led around to the top of the hill. People looked my way with surprised eyes and girls put their heads together to whisper. I lifted my chin up and looked forward only. We climbed the  four steps that led on to the porch. The floors vibrated with the pulse of music coming from inside the house. Ian opened the door and the sound spilled out to us.

“Salem!” A voice cried out.

I stopped just in time to see Jaime throw herself on me. Her red dreads were loose and a silk headband holding them away from her face. Her amber eyes were bright and alive.

"Emma thought you wouldn't come."

"Pssh, like Ian would have let me stay home." I rolled my eyes and Ian's chuckle rumbled over my skin.

"Come on!" Jaime took hold of my hand, "Let's party."

Really the whole thing was kind of a blur. People were staring at me, and after a few drinks, they began openly asking me questions and talking with me.

"You're pretty!" A girl smiled.

"You know, Salem, you're kinda cool." A guy eyed me.

"You've got good taste in music." A guy nodded.

Ian had to leave me for a few moments to help Ricky get their friend, who had too much to drink, into bed. I was standing outside on the side of the house looking at the dark sky.