Chapter 20

Bella's POV

On the drive home, my heart hammered and mind spun with all that happened tonight. It completely exhausted me.

The knowledge that vampires exist really doesn't affect my life noticeably. The fact that they exist and live right here in Forks-That they live here and go to my school- that among the group is my soulmate is completely earth shattering news!

How is any of this possible in the first place?!

I almost died tonight!

The breaks make a soft screech as I pull into park haphazardly in the driveway.

Head in hands, I shake myself.

This is too much. It was fine amongst people when I didn't actually realize that this is all happening. Now that I get time alone, it's like I'm in shock.

None of this is normal!

My mind goes to Rosalie, because lately, it's always her I think about. Normally, just thinking of her makes my heart race because she's so amazing and gorgeous but as I am on the verge of very real panic, the image in my mind soothes me.

I imagine her smell, soft and sweet. The feel of her firm, cool skin on mine. Her honey locks and her smooth voice.

I finally can breath.

I can breath.

As long as its true that Rose cares about me, like I care about her, I think it'll be fine.

We'll navigate together.

Head significantly clearer, I cut the ignition to the truck and get out. Slamming the door and walking carefully over the slick ground, I fumble with my keys.

Vampires are real. Some live right in my own goddamn backyard and whatever.

It's okay.

Soulmates are real. So..awesome!

Jasper almost attacked me earlier. But he didn't. He stopped himself, worked through his instincts and pain. He made the ultimate effort, with some help, and stopped himself.

Of course it was an accident and nothing even happened.

It's alright.

I walk inside the house, shutting the door softly and when I turn Charlie is standing there.

"Dad! God, you scared me." I put a hand over my chest and take a deep breath.

His brows furrow as he scans over my face, "Everything alright? You were lost in your thoughts hard enough for my clunking boots to not budge through."

I chuckle and shrug. "Yeah, I had a good time at the Cullens."

"That's good." He offers a half smile. His earthy brown eyes shin with exhaustion, leaning on the doorway. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah," I nod.

He let's it go before crossing the small distance to pat my shoulder and kiss my temple. "Well, I'm going to bed. Goodnight."

"Night, dad."

As he goes, I follow but turn at the kitchen for a glass of water.

Upstairs I can hear him moving around, getting ready for bed. In the kitchen, I lean against the counter with a half full glass in hand.

My mind still works over all the information I've learned.

My phone vibrates from my pocket.

'Did you make it alright?'  -Rose