Say Goodbye - 5

"Stevie?"

She had to laugh, the way he had said her name was so doubtful that she just couldn't help herself. And honestly, she understood his reaction, it really wasn't her time to be up yet.

"A good morning to you, too." She replied. "Did I wake you?"

"Obviously." Lindsey muttered, still halfway asleep.

"I'm sorry." But she was still laughing. "Though I guess that's a first."

"Definitely." He was laughing now. "But what are you already doing up?"

"Trying to record an album in three weeks, as you kind of know." Stevie explained. "But that's not why I called."

"You didn't call to rub under my nose how great everything is?" He asked.

"No, that's your part." Stevie teased. "But why I called... Dave showed me something just before I called."

"I wanted to call you later." He sighed, this wasn't how he had wanted her to find out. "You shouldn't have found out like this."

"I'm more interested about who the next lucky lady is after you said you were off the market again, already?" She bit her lip, cursing herself that her words had come out like this. She hadn't wanted to sound spiteful.

"The lucky lady doesn't know yet." Lindsey said, knowing the tone of her voice perfectly well. She was jealous, not that she would ever confess that. "I hoped to surprise her."

"Okay."

"Oh, come on Stevie, you know exactly who she is." He couldn't believe that she didn't see that.

"No Lindsey, I don't." She hissed now, tired of this game he was playing with her. "How am I supposed to know?"

"I thought we settled this already months ago? And if it hadn't been months, that I thought I had been clear about it when I've been over at yours the last time." He questioned. "It's you, Stevie. At least I hope it is."

"Don't play with me, please." She whispered.

He was taken aback by the sound of her voice. He hadn't heard it so fragile and vulnerable in a very long time.

"I'm not." He told her softly. "I promise, I'm not playing with you. I told you I love you, and I want to be with you. That is if you let me."

"So, I can go back in the studio and brag about this amazing boyfriend I have now?" Stevie's mood had changed instantly a 180 degree. The seriousness in his voice had totally thrown her off.

"So that's a yes?"

"Yes." She nodded, smiling brightly now.

"You want me to come over?" Lindsey asked.

"Yes."

"And I can stay?"

"Yes."

"You know that with these answers you give me, I'm tempted to push my luck, don't you?" He questioned.

"Yes." She laughed, knowing what he was implying.

"Not on the phone." He shook his head.

"I hope for you that this wouldn't happen on the phone." Stevie told him off, playfully.

"Don't worry." He soothed her. "I wouldn't."

"Okay." She nodded. "So when are you here?"

"I don't know." Lindsey shrugged his shoulders. "Maybe late afternoon. If not, then tomorrow."

"You'll let me know?" She asked.

"I'll call you as soon as I know."

"Maybe you should call Karen." Stevie suggested. "I will most likely be recording. And no matter that I'm so looking forward to have you here, I need to get this record done. So..."

"I understand." He nodded. "Any chance I'll have you back in the studio with me any time soon?"

"Isn't Christine enough?" She asked, but now she wasn't hurt anymore.

"I miss you being there." Lindsey confessed.

"I don't know." She bit her lip. "We just, obviously, are back together. I don't know if I want to put us to test already with going back into the studio with you. You know us, we just push each other's buttons, screaming, fighting... I don't want this right now. I want to be happy and enjoy this, not going home with you and being pissed."

"What was that?" He didn't think he had heard right.

"I said I don't want to fight with you again, now that I have you back." Stevie summed her previous speech up.

"No, not that." He replied.

"I don't want to go home with you, being pissed." She repeated. "Or do you want to stay wherever you are right now?"

"I didn't think you'd want me to move in so soon." He said.

"It's not as if we hadn't lived together already." She stated. "And I don't think that living together is the problem, nor was it with us. So as I said, except you don't want to I would like it."

"How about we'll talk about everything as soon as I'm with you?" Lindsey suggested. "We don't have to settle everything right here and now."

"Okay." She agreed. "I think I'd better go back, or someone will think I got lost or something."

"So I'll see you later, or tomorrow?" He asked.

"Just come over to the studio." Stevie told him. "It's Blackbird's."

"Okay, and I'll call and let you know when I'll be there." He let her know. "Bye."

"Yeah, bye." She was smiling brightly by now. "Oh, and Lindsey..."

She had just kept him from hanging up.

"What?"

"I might say yes, if you should ask me again."

He heard her laugh and then the line went dead.

One more to go my dears. Xoxo, Dani